Copy list items to child list retaining lookup to parent list

• 3 November 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I currently have a 2013 workflow that pulls information from my parent list and populates a child list.   The issue I have is I want to retain a link to the parent list in the child list that will easily allow me to click the link and pull up the parent.   I can manually put this information into a lookup field on the child list and it works but I cannot automatically populate this lookup field using a workflow.  This seems very easy and I think I am missing something.

For example the parent list has 20 fields and using a workflow I copy the following fields to my child list.

Project number, project name, project location, project manager.

How can I make one of these fields a lookup link to the parent list?

thanks,

Chris

2 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

Let's say you got a lookup field "Project Number" on the child list, as below :

138130_pastedImage_0.png

In the workflow, on the "Create item" action, you just have to configure the "Project Number" field as below :

138248_pastedImage_1.png

You should finally get a similar result as this one :

138249_pastedImage_2.png

Badge +2

Thanks for the reply.   This issue is in the Configure action - create item box my lookup field on the child list will not display in the choice of fields.  The workflow is attached to the parent list.

This is the error I receive when I try to update the field on the child list using set field value

coercion failed: unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type