Pending / Submit & a reminder

• 21 February 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +6

I am attempting to improve an existing workflow that isn't working as i want it to. This is the top of the existing form:

199692_pastedImage_2.png

So as you can see it has three states. First state is "Other" which is basically a pending state. The other two are either "Scrap" or "Heel"

What i would ideally like to do is put both a "SUBMIT" & a "PENDING" button into the form. The PENDING button is so that any extra details in any of the other boxes can be uploaded & saved at any point. Some of this extra data will be important information when it comes to making a final decision as to scrap or heel.

What i would then like to do is to use the SUBMIT button that then uploads any extra data & then triggers the next part of the workflow. I would also like to send weekly reminders to the initiator (which I intend to add as a box to the form) asking them to chase up the job & get it updated to either scrap or heel.

Ideally the pending button should only be usable if the "Other" box is selected. Should the "Scrap" or "Heel" box be selected then the "Pending" button greys out & the "submit" button becomes active. Dunno if this is even possible?

The next part of the workflow would be when the SUBMIT button is clicked. So if it a decision to "Scrap" a workflow starts with a set of criteria. If "Heel" is selected then another workflow starts.

What i cant get my head around is how to construct the top part of the workflow. I have got as far as a notification email that i want to trigger when either Submit or pending is clicked informing a team that the form has been generated.

But after that i am at a loss!

Should i run parallel actions & try to run a condition with a flexitask under it? Where will the weekly notifications be best placed?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Any points gratefully welcome!

Pete

6 replies

Badge +16

is that an InfoPath form?  sounds like you want much of your functionality in the form itself as opposed to the workflow?

can you show us what you have on your workflow so far?

I would say if you have three different processes depending on other/scrap/heel that you should have three different workflows all with conditional start on create and modify hat looks for that specific value to be true.

Badge +6

Hi Cass

Good to hear from you!

I am less concerned with the form - apart from configuring the buttons that is. I am more concerned with getting off on the right foot with the workflow. There are further complications that i need to consider later on but for no this is as far as i have got:

199725_pastedImage_1.png

Not even sure if this is the right way!?

Pete

Badge +16

OK here is what I am thinking:

3 workflows, 1 for each scenario:

conditional start as follows

To get to these conditional startup settings in your workflow, choose workflow settings in the ribbon and then configure these options:

Alternatively you could do what you are doing and have three run-if actions in the same workflow, but there is no need to run those in parallel if only one will ever equate to true?

For info - we are starting up a UK Nintex User Group next month in London - be delightful if you could make it and you could meet some other members of the community.  I will tag you in the details.

Badge +6

Hi Again

I like this idea although i have some reservations about having three separate workflows. In my head this means i have to build 3 separate workflows rather than one overall workflow that encompasses the three decisions (if that makes any sense!) 

Would you think it would be a good idea to re-design the input form (it needs major surgery anyway) using Nintex forms rather than Infopath? I am thinking on the lines of print buttons which are easier in Nintex & ni on impossible in Infopath. Plus I am wondering if there are advantages to using Nintex forms with the processes i have in mind. Remember the little trick you showed me on the approvals thing where i can use a form to update the list? I am going to need to do this later in this workflow & wondered if there are specific advantages for Nintex forms over Infopath

I would love to come along to your user group - however i am unlikely to get any support from the supervisory group here (stuffed shirt red tape) but thank you for the invite - it really is very generous.

Pete

Badge +11

‌, I agree with ‌ about the three workflows. It is better to break them up in case you have to update one process, that would be the only process affected. Just like in writing code, you break code up into functions. You can create a main workflow that calls each of the workflows. This will help with troubleshooting as well. You will know which workflow is having problems.

Badge +6

I have a more fundamental question that i need to ask. Remember back to my original form - it has three "states" or questions. How do i make it so that only one of the 3 options can be picked at any one time?

So if I click "Other" the "Scrap" or "Heel" radio buttons are inoperative until "Other" is UNclicked

For the life in me i cant figure this out!

It is worth pointing out this is a change of state & thus will influence the starting of a separate workflow - which i have not yet figured out how to design!

This also goes back to an earlier question. I want to be able to submit the initial part of the form but if "Other" is picked then i want to be able to submit as pending & i want this button to be visible at all times so that extra data can be added as & when it is available to the various team members.

Ideally i would like this submit pending button to be disabled if the option for "Scrap" or Heel" is picked. As mentioned this will trigger a separate workflow

Any ideas? Progress is slow on this particular project from my point of view as it is stock take so many distractions!

Pete