How do we get a value from task form(flexi task) and update the same to the sharepoint list? Is that feature available in Nintex?

Badge +2

Here is the scenario. We are using flexi task (Infopath form) in which we would like to display some information from the associated list item and when we approve or reject the task some additional information(Value from the task form) should be updated to the associated list item. We could not use request data instead of flexi task since we need multiple users for approval other than a group or a single user. Does nintex support this feature in it? If not is there any workaround?

20 replies

Badge +16

have you tried editing the form in nintex forms for your flexi task.  it is so much easier to add list item properties onto the form and have it auto update the flexi task outcome and the original item at the same time.

Badge +2

Currently we are not using Nintex Forms in our projects.Almost all the forms are designed using Infopath Forms.Is there any way to accomplish it with Infopath forms ?

Badge +16

remind me again what the main datasource looks like in advanced mode for the flexitask form in InfoPath (screenshot please)?  I am wondering if you can create an additional data connection to the main list and filter by a value and then submit data back to your secondary data connection that way.

Badge +2

Here is our Main DataSource in infopath flexi task

asasa.PNG

We also had the idea of adding a secondary data source to the infopath task form , and updating the value directly to the list item.

But to filter the list item by value we need a foreign key, to update that particular list item , which is what we are unable to get.

Badge +16

yeah I was afraid that was the case.  in the workflow task list itself there is a hidden column called "Workflow item id" but I don't know how you can get that into InfoPath.  I much prefer InfoPath to Nintex Forms but have to use NF for editing of these forms for this very reason.  Let me know if you get anywhere with it - sorry I can't be much more help than that. 
if I get a chance later tonight I will have another play.

Badge +2

Thanks for the information.If you find any work around please let us know.

Badge +16

you will see in the data connections there is one called NWContext - can you use that?

NWContext.PNG

Badge +16

I have added the workflow item id to my form in InfoPath and it displays the correct ID.

I reckon if you set up dataconnection to original list and filter by that ID you will be good to go?

I will play some more later to see if I can update fields from my list upon save (this could change my future haha)

Badge +8

Hi Cassy

I am using the Nintex Flexi Task form and would like to do the same. I am in the form and in the control settings but I don't see an where I would tie this result back to the list that generates this flexi task. Cassy Freeman

Badge +8

Or is that what the "Connected to" field is intended to do?

Badge +16

Josh Shutts​ on the left hand side where the toolbox is you will see section called List Columns.  they are the columns in your original list so you can just drag them on to your nintex form to make them visible (and editable if you change the settings under appearance etc)

Badge +16

yes exactly.

Badge +16

your out of the box nintex form that gets generated when you edit the flexi task for in nintex forms will have all your list columns at the bottom of the form.  you can just move them around and make them enabled if you need your users to set them while responding to the task.

Badge +2

We have tried this and we also could get the List item ID on the task form.

But when we create a secondary connection to the List its not possible to create a submit connection to the associated list so that we will be able to save data to list from task form.

The secondary connection to associated list will give us a repeating table in InfoPath.And there is no option to save the data to list from task form

Badge +2

We have tried this and we also could get the List item ID on the task form.

But when we create a secondary connection to the List its not possible to create a submit connection to the associated list so that we will be able to save data to list from task form.

The secondary connection to associated list will give us a repeating table in InfoPath.And there is no option to save the data to list from task form

Badge +16

yeah just tried it and see what you mean!  what a pain in the bottom.  did you get anywhere with this since then?

Badge +2

Nope. We are also struck with this one.

Badge +16

did you raise it with SupportAsk Support​ to see if they have any ideas?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

HI Cassy, I found that technique didn't work for me for some reason.  I had to drag those same fields over from the list columns on the toolbox.  Moving the existing list columns up from the bottom of the form and making them enabled just didn't seem to make them enabled.  Strange!

Badge +16

‌ what did you do with this one in the end?