How to Record Converastion History on form

• 13 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

All,

I'm building a form which will have lots of toing and froing.

I'm basically having to build a conversation thread option on the form.

I assume I'll have to do this via Nintex workflow and a 'flag', so that workflow knows to copy from field A to field B, then clear field A again.

I'll also need to suffix each entry with date/time/user etc. Then add the conversation, then add a line break.

I assume this is all part of string building?

Does anybody have an example of such a thing.

Thanks

Andrew

6 replies

Badge +16

have you built your form yet?  what are you envisaging people to see when they add to the conversation?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Cassy

Something like the following: The ticket history is a repeating section with a multi line text box. I've turned off the option to add new row.

Badge +11

Is there a reason why the history is a repaeting section if there is no possibility to add a new section anyway?

However, inside your workflow you have access to your list columns. Just save the text of your history and from your message textboxes to a variable. Then use a "Build String" action to concat the two strings and save it back to your history field.

Inside the build string action you can also "Inser Reference", which you can use to add a timestamp and the name of the person who submitted the message:

197106_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Philipp.

I turned off repeating section becuase I didn't want users to add to that section manually. In my head I was going to use each section as a new field.

I'm not sure how 'big' a variable can be in terms of character length etc. There good be lots of toing and froing. I'll have a play and find out.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

are you aware of sharepoint's OOTB functionality “Append Changes to Existing Text” of multiline text fields?

apart from some custom formating, I would say it provides everything what you need.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Marian,

Yes I know about "Append Changes to Existing Text". I'm still very much trying to find my way around Nintex having come from SPD workflows and InfoPath forms.

I might be going even more simple and just use a form repeating section with a multi line text box.

Thanks