error when getting display name from web service

• 23 June 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge +6

I have been following the post here Retrieve a user's Display name from their login for retrieving a user name from the SharePoint 2013 web service. When I run the workflow I'm getting the following error:

Failed to invoke web service. Error returned from server: <soap:Fault xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><faultcode>soap:Server</faultcode><faultstring>Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.

Here is the configuration I'm using for the web service call

2015-06-23_14-56-04.png

one thing I have noticed is "domain/username" is not a valid choice when trying to insert a reference

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Can you try to replace the slash with a backslash in the userLoginName field ?

Are you sure that in your variable "Requestors Name" there's a login name and not a display name ?

Badge +6

I have changed the slash to a backslash, and the "Requestors Name" to username. Still getting the same error.

We are using claims based authentication, could that cause issues?

2015-06-25_09-04-31.png

2015-06-25_09-03-45.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Exactly, the form based authentication causes this issue.

The login name should look like this : i:0#.f|fbamembershipprovider|user@domain.xxx (you maybe have to check the "Encode inserted tokens" checkbox). I think you should use the "Try now" button to check which login name format you should populate.

Hope this helps

Badge +6

The final solution was to change the type to name within the people picker column settings, and to remove the domain from userLoginName. Now the result is formatted as Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial