Query a SharePoint list based on user selection

• 31 March 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Dear community,

I am completely new to Nintex Workflows. I'm very much affiliated with SharePoint 2013, and try to draft a new small business application. We are using Nintex 2013 at our company. This is what I want to achieve.

• We would have a regular SharePoint form. This form would have several dropdown fields for example type of physical flow, destination country or Plant code. 
  • Based on all user inputs, the application would calculate the correct routing rules (Intermediates) and show the correct results, preferably already on the form itself or on a follow up page.

• We have a master SharePoint list which would store all rules. All rules and results are completely depicted in that list. Basically the application would only search over the master data list, and based on the values that the user selected in the dropdown menus, it would show the correct output.

The list would look like this. Green columns are the values for my input (dropdown fields). Based on which values I select, the application would show the correct output (yellow columns).

Flow typeRegion sourceSource typeDestination codedestination addressdestination RegionFlash/ non flashis Destination country = source country (U-turn)exception destIntermediate 1Intermediate 2intermediate 3
Int siteEUSiteBE-Pr(LSP dest)LSPEUFlashAllstd---
Int siteEUSiteBE-Pr(LSP dest)LSPJPFlashAllJP-BE-Pr(VP HS source Region SG01)
Ext SupEUBysell-SupplierBE-Pr(LSP dest)LSPEUFlashdifferentstdBE-Pr(VP ExtSup Dest Country)--
Ext SupEUToll - SupplierBE-Pr(LSP dest)LSPEUFlashdifferentstdBE-Pr(VP ExtSup Source country)--

Basically this is a very basic application, I just don't know how to achieve this within Nintex Workflows. Can you help?

Do I need to work with Query Actions?

Thanks!

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi there Stefan: 

Yes you can likely do this.

Question for you .. is this it? Is this the entire list?

Like, are these all the rows that will determine this info?

If yes .. easy. If not, might need some more work.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Based on your description, I'm not certain if you are actually doing any calculations, or just filtering your master rules list to show the correct rule based on the users selections.  Is the information in the yellow fields already in the list?

If you are actually needing to do a calculation, then the workflow can do that.  You would need to use the Query List action to query your rules list and find the matching rule for the calculations. 

If all the data is already in your master list and you're just displaying the information in the yellow fields based on the users selections, then you don't need a workflow.  You just need to build a page that has some filter web part hooked up to your list. 

Badge +1

Hello Rhia,

Thanks for your reply. The list above is an extract of the routing rules list, in order to give an example on how this table would look like. The final table would include more more columns and more rows, but the principle would stay the same: Based on which values I select for the green columns, I want to be shown the yellow output.

So the tool in the end might just screen over the green columns and show me the correct output. Like a human would do it if he looks over the table.

Do you know about an approach to realize this?

-Stefan

Badge +1

Hello Brendan,

So the information in the yellow columns will already be in the SharePoint list as well.

But yes, I guess we will really not need to do any calculations, the application should only just screen over the green columns and based on the values the user selected show the output in the yellow columns. Like a human would handle it if he looks over the table.

Can you give me more information on how I could use the filter web part? We though would want to log the information the user selected as a request in another SharePoint list. Other users should be able to view and edit this request as well. Therefore I would want to use a SharePoint form. I maybe should have clarified this more in my start post.

-Stefan

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

If you want to record each time a person submits a query, then in that case you would need a way to save that.  You could have a list where the person creates a new record as their query.  But if you're wanting to display the results on the same screen, you'll need to use something other than a workflow.  Here is a link about Filter Web Parts.  You can do a google search and find a ton of examples on how to use these. 

Connect a Filter Web Part to a List View Web Part - SharePoint 

Badge +1

I googled the use of the Filter Web Part, and it's possible to sporadically filter the SharePoint list, and it would look like this (filters on the left):

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20882.sharepoint-2010-tips-on-implementing-the-sharepoint-filter-list-web-part.aspx

However is it also possible to use the FilterWebPart on an InfoPath Form?

This way I would have everything at one place, users select their values, get shown the right routing rules and then click on Save to Submit the request.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Yes, you have more options using an InfoPath form, but your initial question stated "We would have a regular SharePoint form". 

Badge +1

Thank you for the follow up Brendan.

Maybe I regard a SharePoint form synonymously to a InfoPath form, but so I would be also very fine to achieve this via InfoPath 2010. I have the good feeling that I'm on the right way now.

However, I was googling for a guide on this for an hour, but I didn't find any path forward. The guides are too different and often misleading. Do you maybe know of a guide or a blogpost which could help me further?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Infopathdev.com is good place to check.  I found this with a quick search.  This should point you in the right direction. Populating a field based off another field, data source sharepoint. - InfoPath Dev