Prompt user to re-evaluate a field's value each time a form is opened in edit view.

• 23 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Morning all,

Open to creative suggestions on this one.

We have a checkbox field on a form with certain criteria relating to the record (boxes manually selected by the user which allow us to quickly filter records).

When new information is entered into the notes (edit view), the user should re-evaluate the check boxes to see if any new criteria applies based on the new information entered in the notes, however users are regularly forgetting to update the check boxes.

Management have asked for the form to prompt the user to re-evaluate the check boxes each time the case is opened in edit view (preferably upon clicking save, not immediately as the form opens).

I thought about making the check boxes a required field and clearing the values on edit mode, however if the criteria doesn't change then there will be no way of knowing what was previously selected before it was cleared - so not practical.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dan V

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Are you using Responsive or Classic Forms? 

Additionally, which version of SharePoint / Nintex Forms are you using? 

And finally, which browser are your users primarily accessing the Form using (IE, Chrome, FF, etc..)? 

Badge +1

Hi N M,

Sorry about the missing information. This is a Classic Form, built and primarily used by the end user in IE.

I'm not great with the site admin stuff so can't find the exact Nintex version we have installed. All the admin is done in Germany and I use the Forms application remotely in the UK. I believe it is Nintex Forms for Sharepoint Lists (2013).

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Excellent, that's useful! 

One last question, when you say "checkbox field" do you actually mean a Choice Control with several options set to display as a series of Checkboxes, or something else? 

Also, is the control that is used for Notes just a Multiline Text Control (plaintext)? 

(A picture of the form might help if you are able to provide one)

-------------------

The idea I have is to create a simple Yes/No checkbox control with a label reading something like "Criteria Updated or Didn't Change", that becomes enabled IF

• The Form is in Edit Mode
  • The Value of the Note's Control differs from the Value of the Notes on the Item

Once the control becomes enabled, the Validation Rule on it will prevent you from submitting the form until you have manually checked the box, and the control is reset every time the Form is loaded in Edit Mode so that it is always set to "No" at the start of Edit Mode. 

In this way you create something that is a little more straight forward than just generating an alert, and is kinda like one of those 'dangerous button' flip up coverings that you have to move before you can actually get to the button which can launch all of our missiles at the moon. 

Badge +1

Yes, correct. The 'Checkbox' field is a choice control. In 'New mode' it does not have a default value but is a required field so has to have a value entered before it can be saved. Screenshot below.

The 'Notes' box is a plain multi-line text box. This will be updated 2/3 times a day as the investigation develops and as new notes are added, the boxes should be ticked if any of them become relevant during the course of the investigation.

The checkbox idea is a good plan, that way I wont have to reset the actual Hotlist criteria each time the form is opened in edit view, so the user can review what was entered previously and make a decision if anything else applies based on what they entered in the notes.

I created the below and tried to add a validation rule, but came unstuck on the expression (How do you compare control value in the form vs saved list value?).

Thanks again!