Can't open View Workflow History for site workflow

• 15 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I have 4 site workflows, each of the workflow will loop through a list of about 100 items. I made 4 schedules for those 4 workflows to run overnight. When I check the lists I do see the updates in each list, that means the workflow ran overnight. The problem is, when I try to open "View Workflow History", I got error. I looked the log and it said database connection time out. I understand that the workflows generated lots of records in history and it could be the problem. Can any body point me a direction that I can solve this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'd suggest to create dedicated workflow history lists for these workflows. one list for each of workflow.

then you could purge obsolete items from existing history list resp. purge workflow data (from database)

Badge +3

Thank you Marian!

I created a new workflow history list, added it to the workflow setting for History list. I ran the site workflow twice. When I check the workflow history list, the new history list still showing number of item as 0. The number of item in the original history list is also not changed as 100305. Any idea?

Thank you again!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

does the site workflow write anything to the history log at all?

try to add at a write to history log action to the workflow, run the workflow and then check list content.

did workflow history opened with new configuration or did you still get a timeout?