Not applicable

Linking 2 Workflows

I am trying to create workflow that would essentially link two separate lists together.

List A – pulls all the groups in AD with their sAMAccount and its description.

We need to pull in all the groups in AD because not everyone making a request is going to know what group to request which is why we have the description field.

List B – will have all the requests relating to the List A groups

We would like users to be able to search List A and select the group which would either redirect them to List B Create an Item with the group selection field populated with the item they selected from List A.

Or create a workflow within List A that would have a request data action to fill in the required information for List B’s form and use the create item action in List A’s workflow. The issue I’m running into is when I assign the request data action to everyone it would require everyone to complete the action before the workflow will continue. I’ve also tried a review action item or flexi task and selected the option “First response applies” in thinking it would take the first response to close the task but it still requires everyone to response. Is there another way to do this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
eharris04
Workflow Hero

Re: Linking 2 Workflows

Kristin,

Thanks for posting your question.  I think your solution is slightly more complicated than the title alluded to.  

Can you tell us why you want to pull all accounts from AD?  You could create a field on a Nintex form that uses the People Picker field which will do the exact same thing, but the you don't need a list for that.

Is your request data action necessary for the group?   You should be able to use the first response as you mentioned to complete the task and continue the workflow.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Using the people picker is how I originally approached this. But thinking about our users, majority will not know what group they need to request access to, so pulling a list of all the groups, with the description field, so users can search using key words to determine what group they need access to.

From there what I am trying to do; I'd like to create a link with in the AD group list that will bring them to the form to submit their access request, while also filling in the group name within that form from the list item they chose (if that makes sense). I was able to create the URL link to the form but I would like to pull the group name they selected to display in the form.

For example: If I'm a user requesting access to an admin group, I would go to the list of AD groups, search for admin, read the descriptions and determine that I need access to group S_GL_Admin, from there I would like to click the link in one of the columns next to the group name so it would bring up the form with the group name field already populated with S_GL_Admin, and I would just need to fill out the remaining fields.

0 Kudos
eharris04
Workflow Hero

Kristin,

Great thoughts and ideas. From what I know, this is not something that a workflow can handle in regards to querying and displaying all group data in a particular list in the manner you may be thinking. Here are some factors to consider.

If the user can see all the groups, even the one's they don't have access to; what stops them from hacking in and getting access to that group?  SharePoint permissions works in a top down approach and limits access at the top most level and works down in a inverted funnel.  Everyone should have access/permissions, then it restricts the further you go down.

With regards to managing AD groups in a manner like you are wanting, I would suggest simply creating a list of the groups available and the group description, and group owner.  One note here is that you could use a PowerShell script to query and get this.  The general way would be to just create a list and populate that accordingly.  Then you could have a list lookup in a request list and that request could be sent to group owner from the list.

Let me know if that helps out some.

0 Kudos