Document Library mass permission update?<UPDATED>

• 13 June 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello Nintex Community,

A site has recently been moved (using DocAve) to its new home. This has caused all items within the document libraries and Site Assets to lose their permissions and revert to Myself and my team.
Is there a way that I can create a Nintex workflow that would go through all folders/subfolders and update the permissions to the relevent SharePoint group?

the structure of the libraries vary between Folder>SubFolder>SubSubFolder>Document to Folder>Document.

Any Assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE

So as it turns out I ignored the obvious. what I did was enabled inherited permissions on the library in question, used file explorer to move the file out of the document library then back in and Hey presto, permissions restored as expected.

4 replies

Badge +3

Hi Rob

Are the items all currently inheriting from the site level or disinherited with yourself and team having individual permissions? Did you want the items within the folders and libraries to inherit their permissions or is there metadata of some sort that dictates the SharePoint group at some level? Roughly how many libraries / items are involved?

Wondering if there could be a a quicker way than by workflow...

Cheers

Jenny 

Badge +2

Hi Jenny,

The Site asset library inherits permission from the site, but all folders and sub-Folders (etc) and files are unique permissions.

Theres about 1100 files in total that would need to have the permissions redone.

Cheers,
Rob

Badge +3

Hi Rob

Apologies, I might not be clear on what you're wanting to achieve. Do you want the folder, subfolders and files to also inherit? You can re inherit permissions from Library settings > Permissions > Stop inheriting permissions. But I suspect that's not what you're after :-). 

If you're wanting to change the unique permissions to be to a another group, is there metadata associated with the folders that could dictate the permissions or group to use? If not, how else do you know what permissions to apply (regardless of the method)?

Cheers

Jenny

Badge +2

Hi Jenny,

What I need is to revert about 1100 files spread amongst 100 folders to inherited site permissions. following the migration, the files and folders reverted to unique permissions and the people within those unique permissions are not the site users, none of the site users have permissions to the 1100 files

What I've tried is simply going into the Top folder settings and deleted unique permissions, but it doesn't flow down to the other folders and files.

I need to restore inherited permissions to the 1100 files without manually going into each item. I'm hoping there is a recursive Workflow that can go through and update the permissions.

Cheers,
Rob