How to get multiple formula fields underneath each other use resize at runtime?

• 20 October 2016
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +2

Hey community,

i am facing the challenge to build a form in Nintex which should give a preview of how the of the item would look like in SharePoint search. 

There are three elements (all formula control) in my form that drive me crazy.

1. a formula loading the HTML which makes a picture show up in the formula control. Some pictures have a heigtht of approx 100px, some do have a height of more than 300px. So i set the formula control to "resize at runtime" "yes".

2. a formula showing the text which is added in another multiple line text field. Sometimes its just a few words, sometimes several sentences. So i set this formula control to "resize at runtime" "yes" as well.

3. a third control. As well set to "yes" in resize at runtime. This text is not dynamic. 

Form in Editor

Now everything is fine as long as the picture has not to much heigth and the text is not to long. 

See example of to long picture and text:

Elements overwriting each other

You see the text overlaying the picture and the text colliding with the blue hyperlink instead of pulling the hyperlink down.

Has anyone any idea how I could avoid this behaviour? 

This is how it should look - independent of the heigth of the picture and independent of the text length.

Good looking example

Please do not get confused by that dashed lines, I activated them to get a feeling for the width of the elements for positioning.

Thanks in advice! 

Philipp

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

try to put every single control into separate panel.

set panels' 'resize at runtime' to yes too.

make sure panels do not overlaps nor touch each other - make a small space among them.

Badge +2

Hi Marian,

thanks for your help. 

I tried to put every single of this 3 controls (which are set 'resize at runtime') into a panel for each of them. The panels do not touch each other nor overlap. All three panels are set to 'resize at runtime' as well. There is nothing next to the panels (horizontally). The panels use the full width of the form. 

The result: the formula controls cannot expand anymore (1, 2). The positive effect is that they do not overlap the following content. But the user cannot see the full content any more. 

Sadly this does not work as expected. 

Regards Phil

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what does trigger rendering of these controls? are they rendered that way directly on form load or do you render them on some user event (button click) or from js code?

are there any formatting rules applied on these controls or do you customize controls' appearance?

do you apply any CSS on them?