Connect SQL Database with Nintex forms

• 16 December 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Is there any way to pull data from SQL database to Nintex forms? I do not have the Enterprise version. I just need to enter user Name or ID as input parameter and the form to auto-fill with the rest of the data. (tel, address, email etc.)

Any ideas or suggestions on how can I do this?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

What you could do is have a workflow make a SQL call and pull the related information into the list item after you submit the form.   The downside is obviously that the data will fill in after you have submitted the form, but will be available to display in the form the next time you load it as long as you connect the corresponding list fields to their controls on the form.   The only other option that I could think there would be is to do some custom coding, but even that can be insecure depending on how its carried out.

Thanks

Mike

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

it may depend on what SQL database you want to connect to.

note that to connect to database from client(s) you will need appropriate 'instrastructure' configured on each client (client software/libraries/engine, data source, ...)

some ideas for MS SQL you can find eg. here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/node-js/node-js-driver-for-sql-server
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/857670/how-to-connect-to-sql-server-database-from-javascript-in-the-browser

Badge +4

While this is a good answer and does actually work, I don't feel this is a viable answer to the OP. They want it in the form not in the workflow. If that's not possible it should be stated as well as your work around.

I have a similar issue where we need to hit a database before so we can validate manager info (our AD does not have that information) and if the database doesn't have the user's information, we need a way to enter the user's information manually when its not present. We can do this post-submission within the workflow but it requires additional setup on the workflow side, and our workflow is already far too large for Nintex workflows and adding more to it defeats the purpose when we can simply make a query to the database on the form submission. Infopath could make SQL connections, why doesn't Nintex forms?

Our only other option would be to setup a sync with the SQL connection on a SharePoint list, but our database far exceeds the 5000 limitation within SharePoint anyway to store it all there, even with filtering enabled.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello Tyler,

Enterprise Edition of forms does allow you to connect to SQL via Nintex Forms.   I wish it were in the base product too as it would make it more accessible to all.   Short of that, I am just offering some insight on how others have dealt with similar situations in the past even though I know it does not answer exactly how to get that data on the form.   You could create a custom Nintex control, or even utilize a JavaScript solution to accomplish what you want, but that's easier said than done.   

Thanks

Mike