How do I change the ownership of a workflow?

• 14 August 2015
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

I need to change the ownership of my workflows. At this moment I'm creating a few workflows for a customer, but my user-account will be gone in a while. The workflows contain steps which run with elevated privileges, and off course I need those to keep working after I'm gone. Running them via the webservice is not an option. So my question; how do I change the ownership of my workflows?

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

the owner is the user who publish the workflow, so if you (or someone at your customer) publish the workflow using an account that will not expire you can avoid the problem

Giacomo

Badge +1

Thank you for your reply. It does not really answer my question though. I'm looking for a way to change the owner, maybe via powershell? Or are you saying the only way to do this, is republishing all my workflows?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

Vadim Tabakman​ has posted on his blog a script powershell to export all workflows and republish them, it's a script for SharePoint 2010 on-premises: Nintex Workflow - PowerShell Find All Workflows and Export or Republish Part 3 - Vadim Tabakman but I think it can be adjusted for SharePoint 2013 if it doesn't work (if you are on O365 this solution isn't applicable)

I don't know if there is a different way to change the owner of a workflow without republishing it, sorry!

Giacomo

Badge +1

No worries, thanks anyway!

Badge +11

I think you can get the workflow to run as the system account which has elevated privileges and should always exist.

Badge +1

That's not really an answer...do you know how to do that? The run as owner just runs it as the person who created the workflow and I don't have access to a system-account to republish the workflow as such.

Badge +11

Select the action 'Run as elevated priviliages' I think its called.

Badge +1

No...it is called run as (workflow) owner, as I just said. But if you read my answer, you'd see that doesn't solve the problem, as was also stated in the original question wink.png.

Badge +11

Sorry, my bad!