How to toggle visibility of an area that works

• 11 July 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

I'm just creating a form with two areas which will be visible depending on a selection of a radio button. This works. Either the first area is visible or the second.

My problem now is that in the second area will be another radio button named chkButton2 (Yes/No value) that has to hide another area called Area3. That area is also inside of the second area and at the bottom.

Initially this area is hidden because the default of the chkButton2 is "No". If I now select the "Yes"-Option of that radio-button the Area3 is visible. So far everything seems to be correct. But if I now change my selection of chkButton2 back to "No" I expected the Area3 to be hidden again. But exactly that does not work.

I looked at a few videos in the Nintex Youtube channel. But every of the video ends near the fact that an area is visible. In every video it seems to be avoided to click again on the trigger to let the user see what happens if he changes his mind.

Can anyone please give me a hint.

My rule is assigned to Area3 and has a simple condition like " chkButton2 == 'No' " and the hide-checkbox checked.

Thanks in advance

7 replies

Badge +8

HI Martin,

I did a quick check and it did not look like it behaved the same way as you suggested above. I will try to summarize what I did and may be you could see if it works for you or you needed something else.

Form has 3 Panels

Panel 1 - Pn_True (Name)

Panel 2 - Pn_False (Name)

Panel 3 (which is inside Panel 2)

Main CheckBox : Name ctl_YesNo (This is on the form NOT inside any panel)

Second checkBox: Name : ctl_YesNoInside (This is inside the Panel 2 (which would control Panel 3 visibility)

Rules -

Panel 1 (Pn_True) :

Formulae - not(ctl_YesNo)

Behaviour - Hide

Panel 2 Pn_False :

Formulae - ctl_YesNo

Behaviour - Hide

Panel 3 :

Formulae - not(ctl_YesNoInside

Behaviour - Hide

This should work.

If you click on the Main CheckBox(ctl_YesNo ) - It will toggle visiblity between Panel 1 and Panel 2

If you click on the Second checkBox (ctl_YesNoInside ) It will toggle visiblity between Panel 3 (On./Off)

If Panel 2 is NOT visble Panel 3 will never be visible regardless if ctl_YesNoInside is turned on or not.

186702_pastedImage_2.png

Hope this helps,

Shrini

Badge +3

Hi Shrini,

thank you for your answer.

Absolutely correct your example, it is that what I did. So, now I tried to rebuild your example and first I created the first checkbox, after that the 2 main panels and at least the inside panel. After that I created the rules. I did it exactly as you described it.

If I now check the first checkbox it will toggle the visibility of the 2 main panels. But it will do it only once. If I uncheck the checkbox again, it does not change back. And this is my problem as I described in my post.

Badge +8

HI Martin,

I have rechecked and it does work Can I ask where are you putting your validation rules?

Couple of things if you probably check?

You would need to add the validation rules on the panel.

Panel 1

186703_pastedImage_0.png

Panel 2

186728_pastedImage_1.png

Panel 3  - Do NOTE that the second checkbox is OutSide this "Panel 3 " and inside "Panel 2"

186729_pastedImage_2.png

Badge +3

Hi Shrini,

thank you for your answer again. I think I did it correct and at the correct places. Here are the screenshots.

Please ignore the German language in labels and rules. In the rules there is used the word "nicht" for "not". I can only pick up translated functions.

May be that here is something wrong. But first I want to sort out that the problem was my fault.

Nintex1.png

Nintex2.png

Nintex3.png

Best regards

Martin

Badge +8

Hi Martin,

I believe what you have created is exactly similar to what I have done (Provided the German translation is accurate). and it surely works for me.

1] Have you selected the functions (Not ) from the function box or have you typed it?

2] The checkboxes are of type (Yes/No) ?

3] If we ignore the third inner panel (for now) does your normal toggle ctl_YesNo work i.e. if you check/uncheck it should toggle between Panel 1 and Panel 2? Please confirm. This is just to see narrow down your issue.

Regards,

Shrini

Badge +3

Hi Shirini,

thank you for your answer. Now I got the example working. In the example the checkboxe where not type Yes/No. After doing this it works.

In my project form the first toggle seems to work with checkboxes of type radio button because there are 2 areas where only one should be visible at a time.

The inner area does not toggle at all. Here I tried to use a control Yes/No but I cannot bind this to a field of my list because I cannot select an entry in the settings panel. It seems there are some things wrong in the installation of nintex here. I think so because I also get some strange error messages full of html-code. I asked our SharePoint admins for a meeting to display what happens and have a look at the logfiles. May be that here we find out whats going wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Martin

Badge +8

Hi Martin,

Glad it helped. In the example I gave above both the controls are of Type Yes/No and it will surely work.

Please can you marked your question as answered if it helped?

Regards,

Shrini