InfoPath process outcomes not evaluating

• 22 July 2008
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

I am having a problem with an InfoPath process and my Outcomes not being set correctly (read: not at all).

After submitting the form for the first time the process kicks off and creates an InfoPath form in the form library. So far, so good. However, when I open up the form and take action, the process completes when it should move to another activity. I see the problem, but I don't know how to fix it.

Here are the details.

The activity has 3 actions: Save, Submit, and Shelve. I have configured 3 outcomes; Saved (when Action Results = Save), Submitted (when Action Result = Submit), and Shelved (when Action Result = Shelve). The activity is configured for "Plan for Slots" with 1 slot. It doesn't matter which action I take, the result is always the same. When I drill down to the activity instance data in the reports I can see that the Action Result for the activity instance is correct (whichever action I selected) but the Outcome is _always_ blank. Of course the process instance will complete prematurely if the outcome is blank. I added a line with a rule to capture the eventuality that Outcome is blank, and even _that_ route isn't being taken.  I am currently running the K2HostServer in console mode, and right after the Succeeding rule completes I see the following output:

Outcome Evaluation: Started

Outcome Evaluation: Completed

There _should_ be a line in between that states "Outcome Evaluation Result: [RESULT]" but there isn't.  Perhaps that is because it could not evaluate it...  Where does the outcome evaluation actually take place?  In the Succeeding rule?

FWIW, I have tried "Plan for Destinations" and "Plan Once" with various configurations, but the result is always the same error -- "ActivityInstanceDestination property not available on given context" in the destination rule. It doesn't seem to matter if I set a destination user or not, or what options I pick in the advanced configuration of the destination rule.

I really am starting to think there is something fundamentally wrong with my process, but I don't know what. It looks like I am going to have to start again, which is going to cost me a lot of time and effort, but my forehead is getting very sore.

If anyone has any suggestions, I will gladly try and of them before I resort to starting again.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hmmm, here is something to check.  

In your InfoPath form, are you doing anything special, or changed any of the rules regarding submit? In InfoPath 2007, look under tools --> Submit Options --> Perform custom action using rules, click the "rules" button. On the following, "rules for submitting forms" window, look for a rule that references setting a workflow task action. Select that rule and click the modify button to the right. In the following window labled "rule", check to see you have a rule for setting a field value that sets Action Name = actions (where actions is the Task Action field you specified when you setup your InfoPath form and went through the InfoPath Process Wizard.)

I have attached a screen shot, hope this helps.

17073i9D591CC9E7E648B6.jpg