When workflow for one item completes, it starts for another item

• 11 March 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

I have a list with with a workflow attached. The workflow has about 5 to 6 'approval' levels in it, so it's fairly complex (for me anyway).

The problem I'm facing is that when the workflow for one items completes successfully, it seems to trigger a new workflow for totally separate items in the same list. At exactly the same time.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thanks

5 replies

Badge +7

Hi Shaun,

What are the conditions for starting the workflow?

Thanks

Jan

Badge +6

What startup conditions did you set for the workflow? When items are added or modified or both?

Badge +5

Sorry I forgot to mention - I have set some conditions:

Start Manually: No

Start When Items are created: Conditional ('Submitted' field = 'Submitted')

Start When Items are modified: Conditional ('Submitted' field = 'Submitted', 'Workflow Name' ≠ 'Completed', 'Workflow Name' ≠ 'Pending')

I set the above conditions so that I was able to have a 'Save' and a 'Submit' button. 'Save' button saves the item to the list, while 'Submit' sends it through the workflow by reading the 'Submitted' field.

Badge +5

Alternatively, what would work for me is if there is somehow I can insert a condition what says the following (in plain English here):

DO NOT run the following approval IF the approval already has a pending action

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Reading over this, you may want to consider using a State Machine to manage how your item moves along with the different approvals.

You can set each level to its own state and them move the item between the states as it is approved or rejected. This will help clean up the workflow and allow you to visualize where it is and where it is going.

Hope this helps!