Send only changed values by e-mail

• 3 July 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello,

I like to create a Workflow where I can only send (or highlight) changes of single values in a Mail.

Background of the request:
I created a onboarding list to write down the first information of a new employee.

Once the list item is created several departments getting an e-mail with the information: Human Resources dep. gets the information of the person, IT gets the information to creat an account and to order hardware equipment.

A workmate was aksing: What if someone enters wrong information? Will he get the same mail with the changed information? Is it better to send only the changed information or highlight the changed information.

I only know the following way:

1. Create for each column in the form a second column in display mode

2. If you change one value (for example the birthday) the WF should check for each column if the value in "display-mode" column is the same as in "edit-mode" column. If the values are not the same the "edit-mode" column value should be send in an e-mail.

In my opinion that is very work-intensive because i have to set the "value check" for each column.

Does anyone know a way that is not that work-intensive?

Some system specifications:

Sharepoint 2013 foundation

Nintex Workflow 2013 version 3.2.3.2 - International

Nintex Forms 2013 version 2.10.1.0

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

it's quite problematic with nintex to recognize previous field values.

these are not known within (inside) the workfflow. only possibility is to start workflow conditionally on a specific field value change. but that at first means you need to create a separate workflow for each 'monitored' field and at second you will still not know exact previous value, just it's actual value and the fact it was changed.

your depicted approach need not be reliable either. 

imagine eg. a situation a change is made to an item, notfication workflow starts. shortly after first change another change is made (workflow for first change didn't finish yet). another workflow instance for second change cannot be started, since there is already/stil running first workflow instance. so you miss the second change.

maybe there are possible a different approaches (eg. assign a task to each department, send only a link to an item without values...)....

but I'm not quite sure about your requirement and overall process setup

What if someone enters wrong information? Will he get the same mail with the changed information? Is it better to send only the changed information or highlight the changed information.

what change is meant - before you sent out to departments? after you sent to departments?  changes made by department's responsible?

who is supposed recepient of change/correction notification? onboarding user? department responsibles? original requestor?

is it needed at all to sent notification in such cases from SP/NINTEX? there still may be errors/mistakes/mistypes that pass through the whole process unnoticed...