Not applicable

Is it possible to trigger a workflow when an attachment has been modified?

Jump to solution

I am using Nintex 2010, and I am trying to find a way to trigger a workflow to start when an attachment has been modified. Is this even possible? Thank you!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
eharris04
Workflow Hero

Re: Is it possible to trigger a workflow when an attachment has been modified?

Jump to solution

Jeff,

So this is somewhat possible but depends on what you mean by trigger.  If the person grabs the attachment, downloads it and then uploads the attachment back to the item as a new version, then yes the trigger will occur.  The triggers for SharePoint are what drives Nintex workflows and those are item created, item modified, item deleted.   This is similar to CRUD (create, read, updated and delete).  If SharePoint can recognize the actions then it can start a workflow based on that.

In your case, I don't think you want the trigger to be when the attachment is downloaded and changed, but rather when it is resubmitted to SharePoint or possible even some external drive such as onedrive, google drive, drop box,etc.  This uploading or updating of the attachment in this case can trigger a new event because it will essentially create a new version of that attachment on the item which thus can kick off the workflow.

This is normal SharePoint behavior, so if you set the workflow to start on item updated or item modified, it should start once you edit the item and upload the modified attachment.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Eric,

Thank you for responding. I was actually wondering if the workflow could be triggered to start if some just modified it without downloading it first by editing in the browser or opening in word and just saving straight to SharePoint. If I set the workflow to start when the item is updated or modified any change will trigger it correct? I just want the attachment to trigger it. Do you know if this is possible?

Thank you again for your help.

Jeff

0 Kudos
eharris04
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Jeff,

Conceptually this should work. Give it a try and set the workflow to start when an item is modified.  This should work when you interact with the attachment and save it back down to the item. 

Another way to guarantee this is to use a document library where the document becomes the item and thus any change and save will prompt a workflow.  Also ensure versioning is turned on in both scenarios.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

As per my knowledge, you can track and trigger a workflow by the attachment's properties but not the actual content inside the attachments without any custom code.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you for the information.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Let us know it works out, Jeff Inman​! If you find a solution, please select the "correct answer" in this thread so others looking for answers can find it. Thanks!

0 Kudos
glenda
Forms Fledgling

Jump to solution

We have had sort of the same business case as Jeff where a workflow should be triggered when an attachment has been modified (not downloaded, just opened in Word and make changes to it). Our workflow was not triggered as well. We simply solved it by adding a Comments field to the list where the business should indicate if they had changed the attachment. This was actually also a better solution for them because this way they create a trace of their events, and the attachments had quite some business value.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you for the idea Glenda.

0 Kudos
seid
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

How about this case, where an attachment has been added or modified to an item. How to trigger a workflow to start??

0 Kudos