The ID's relationships in K2

• 30 October 2013
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hello, everyone?

There are many IDs in the K2 workflow, For example: SN, ProcIn, ProcInstID, ActInstDestID, ProSetID, and so on. Can any one explain what's the relationships in them? Especially the relationships in k2 Workflow.

Thanks.

6 replies

Badge +2

SN-Serial Number, ProcIn- Process Instance, ProcInstID-Process Instance ID, ActInstDestID-Activity Instance Destination ID....K2 is a multi-hierarchy systems so these IDs re used at different levels of the system. but also you can use them in your wokflows. for further info go to help.k2.com 

Badge +2

Hi kamogelom,

Thanks for your reply. Could you give some links about the relationships? I'm confused about when and how to use them. thanks. 

Badge +8

Could you give some links about the relationships? I'm confused about when and how to use them. thanks.

Serial numbers are only used to identify worklist items.  Practically, it is the process instance ID and the activity instance destination ID for the worklist item in question, separated by an underscore (_).

Process Instance ID uniquely identifies every running K2 process.

Activity ID uniquely identifies each activity in your process.  Never found a practical, real-world use for it.

Activity Instance Destination ID uniquely identifies every activity instance destination for each destination and worklist item.  Not much use for this unless you have to construct a serial number by hand for some reason (which does happen on occasion).

I've never found much variation in Process Set ID, so haven't been able to figure out it's use or purpose.

Using SmartObjects, you can draw these relationships: All processes belong to process sets.  All process instances belong to processes.  All activities belong to processes (NOT process instances).  All activity instance destinations belong to activities and process instances.

Badge +8

Some of the IDs are for design time rather than runtime. The K2 ERD will explain the relationships in detail:

http://help.k2.com/helppages/k2blackpearlDevRef4.6.4/K2%20blackpearl%20ServerLog%20Database%20ERD.pdf

It covers both the Design time and Runtime elements and the IDs used in there will translate to the identifiers in the objects the designers expose.

Badge +2

Thank you,dc. The PDF is very helpful. It will be helpful for me to understand the relationships. 

Badge +2

Thank you, sbrown. Your explanation is very clear, I will try to draw the relationships based on your explanation and @dc 's reply.