Email not working in Loop with Switch

Badge +3

Hi, I've created a Loop with a Switch, which basically allows and approval process based on various logics to assign flexi-tasks  (IE the decision making process is not linear and requires workflow logic)

the initial part of the loop is tested and working, which I then copied pasted into the 2nd part of the switch, and so on.

the short version of the logic is that if Manager 1 approves their flexi task, a field is updated in the list, which the Switch then looks at and passes it on to the next manager.

my problem seems impossible to me

1) the first manager receives and email, and then approves their Flexi Task

2) the workflow continues and correctly assigns the task to the second manager

3) However, the 2nd manager never receives an email to notify to them of step 2 above! I have even tried adding in "Send Email" randomly into the workflow, and it just does not process email

What am I doing wrong? how could it send emails in the first part of the switch, but not in the 2nd part?

I have tried deleting the flexi tasks and recreating them, and typing my personal email address directly into the flexi task (no lookup - direct email), and it still fails to send an email. There is definitely no syntax error within the flexi task. its almost as if the loop is causing the email to fail?

15 replies

Badge +16

Can you show us a screenshot of the graphical workflow history (item dropdown menu, view workflow history).

Badge +3

Hi, thanks for your reply

Interestingly, after hours of troubleshooting and eventually posting this question on the community, I had success for the first time - email was sent to my second manager. The only thing I did, was delete and recreate everything I could think of (EG flexi task)... but this isn't really the right way to be troubleshooting -  there has to be a reason my workflow emails are not flowing

I now have it moving to the 3rd leg of the Switch, and have the same problem again... no email to the 3rd manager, although the flexi task has been assigned. See screenshots (the logic in line manager 1, and line manager 2, is identical to line manager 3)

185116_pastedImage_1.png

as you can see below, the task has been assigned to me as Line Manager 3. However I never receive the flexi task email, which I have configured to send to me

185123_pastedImage_2.png

185124_pastedImage_3.png

Thanks in advance

Carl

Badge +16

can you show me the task notification config on that action please?

what is the reason for using the switch and update item instead of the state machine and change state out of interest?

Badge +3

Hi, I'm new to Nintex and been thrown in the deep end regarding our business requirements, so i'm doing a lot of googling to try and find ways to accomplish things. I found an article around Loops and Switches which seemed to fit my requirement so that's what I did. I've never used the State Machine, perhaps its better?

It may be that I'm using the wrong function or that there's an easier way, but in any event, I'm not understanding why the task notification is not being sent

The requirement is that an approval task may be approved, rejected, or pushed back to the previous person in the sequence. This must happen until such time as the approval is "Approved" or "Rejected". The recommendation was to use the Switch function to decide which "leg" of the workflow to run in the loop by updating a field which the Switch monitors, until status "Complete" (I hope that make sense)

this is the failed Flexi Task as seen in the workflow above

185125_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +3

Hi, as a matter of interest, I also tried the State Machine but have exactly the same issue. (I dragged and dropped the boxes from the previous Switch to the State machine - maybe I copied the error??)

in the 2nd screenshot below, you can see it correctly assigned the task to Carl Taute in both step 1 and step 2, but I only received the first email.

Thanks

185126_pastedImage_0.png

185127_pastedImage_1.png

185128_pastedImage_2.png

Badge +16

OK if you use state machine you can delete the loop - drag the state machine about the loop action and then delete it.

I do not think your email problems are related to that but I think the state machine suits your needs better.

can you try running it again once you have removed the loop (note it can take a little while for the state machine to change states)

Badge +3

Thank you Cassy, I have removed the loop. Same problem - no email. (thanks for the tip on the State Machine, its much cleaner)

I'm going to try start an empty workflow tomorrow morning and see if that helps. I'm hoping it was my own fiddling that "broke" it, although I don't quite see how.

Any idea if there is a logfile on the server where I can see if the email was sent, and to where etc (to verify if the email left the SharePointNintex server and hit my MS Exchange box)

Thanks

Carl

Badge +16

OK great I am pleased you like the state machine.

I am inclined to agree that starting again and adding actions in step by step for testing is a good approach.  I have found workflows don't cope very well at times when you change them drastically (!!!)

can you confirm that the action send notification does indeed work?

To be honest I don't know where you would look to check - I normally have to go to the exchange team to check, but I have no idea what they do to give me an answer.

Badge +3

Hi, as recommended, I have recreated a workflow from scratch using a State Machine, and it is working perfectly thus far.

185146_pastedImage_1.png

I have not yet added any of the "Run Ifs" which we will need to, but the state changing with the various task assignment notifications is working perfectly

I can only assume that I tried too many weird and wonderful things in my previous workflow which somehow messed with the emailing.

thank you Cassie for your guidance and tips, I really appreciate it.

Badge +16

Great news Carl Taute​ - it can be a funny old product when it wants to be!

I am pleased you have it sorted now, the run ifs shouldn't have any impact on it now that you have proven it to work.

You will find this approach to your design (state machine over switch) much easier to maintain and change if a new approval is required to be added.

Please mark an answer correct so that this thread can be closed out.

Badge +3

Bad News sad.png

I think I've found a bug. It appears the problem is related to having a "Run If" within the Change State (or even the Switch command I used previously)

this workflow was working perfectly until I inserted a box around the Flexi Task, to "Run If Manager 1 is not empty".

from this point on

• the switch machine takes 30-45 seconds to move to the correct state (previously it was instant). It almost points towards the workflow having some kind of processing error?
  • the emails stop working again.

this honestly looks like a bug to me. If I take the flexi task out of the Run If, it reverts to normal again

Here is the Run If logic. (Line Manager 1 is set to Carl Taute)

185158_pastedImage_4.png

185157_pastedImage_3.png

Badge +16

ah that is so odd!

Have you raised this with Nintex Support​?

I will try and replicate this my end to see if I get the same behaviour.  Will keep you posted.

Badge +3

Thanks. I will be installing the latest Nintex updates tonight and rebooting my servers. If it still behaves in this way I will log with Nintex support

Carl

Badge +3

Unfortunately the Nintex updates and server reboots did not help. My local Nintex support partners built the same workflow in their dev environment and got it to work 100%. We then exported and imported their workflow into my environment, and still have the same issue (emails after "Run If" not working).

We will be logging with Nintex Support to assist further.

Keep Well

Badge +16

Hate it when that happens!  Hopefully support will be able to spot the issue!