Github experience

• 30 May 2016
  • 1 reply

Badge +6

Good afternoon

In my company is used normally Github for managing dvelopment versions of every development.

This year we started to work with K2 and we have different develpments, and my responsibles requests me use Github to managing the developments of K2.

anybody has experience woking with this technology or similar to manqging versions of smarforms, smartobjects or workflows.

Bcause i don't know how can integrate Github with K2

Thank you very 

Juan Antonio

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Good morning, Juan.

Yes, I have worked with both GitHub and TFS and K2. 

Only the K2 thick client designers produce artifacts that can be checked into source control and those are limited to Smart Object and Workflow definitions. K2 Studio doesn't support any direct integration, but you can use any GIT Windows client to check in the projects. K2 Visual Studio does support direct integration.

For smart forms, you don't have any options for source control. Smart Forms definitions only exist in the database so there isn't any project files to check into source control. What I have done in the past as part of release management is to create a package of Smart Forms and then check those into source control. You could do this on a daily or whenever significant changes are made, but it will be manual process.

Finally, with any source control only one developer can develop a K2 project at a time. DO NOT USE any merge functionality as it will corrupt your definitions. The typical workflow is that a developer:

1. Checks out the solution and locks for editing
  2. Makes changes
  3. Checks in the changes and solution when complete for the next developer.
  4. The next developer does a get latest or GIT equivalent and goes to step 1 above.

Hope this help gets you started. I suggest that everyone reading this post opens feature requests to K2 for better Enterprise level source control and change management. The focus on web based designers in the absence of excellent version control or physical artifacts is a significant barrier for adoption of K2 in the enterprise. The K2 feedback link is here: https://portal.k2.com/feedback/Default.aspx

S.