create site from a template and add a list item at the same time

Badge +3

Hi, I am trying to create site from template using Nintex workflow/form and add a list item in that new site at the same time using fields on the site creation form. Can this be done in one step? For example, create a project site from custom project site template and add project information to a list in that new site using fields on the form like project managers..etc. thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

You can create a new site with an action, but there is no an action to create a new list/item on the created site. Anyway you could create it using a REST operation.

Take a look at this Working with lists and list items with REST

and this >>> How to execute a REST API request with Nintex Workflow

Badge +3

​Thanks for the reply. I can create a site from a template and populate a list item in that new site using Nintex form/workflow, however, in 2 steps.

What I am trying to figure out is if site list creation and item addition can be done using one Nintex form (when new site details are entered on the form, add additional details for the list item). But this means process will need to wait until site is created with the list before list item is added.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can use a series of actions. Create Site, Create List(if doesn't exist), Create Item in another Site.

You will use a variable in the Create Item in Another Site action to determine the URL. Using this action you can take values from the form and use them as item values.

Badge +3

I tried it but there is one problem.

When using create item in another list, i can get the new site name dynamically from title attribute but the list name is a drop down menu and I cannot hardcode it.

so even though I know the list name in the new site, I cannot add it. any ideas? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you have the site name from an attribute and can use that as a reference, check.

The user selects the list name from a drop down? Can you use this value as a reference?

Badge +17

Why try to do this in one workflow?  It sounds noble, but may be an abuse of a workflow that wasn't meant to happen logically.  You could just split this into two workflows.  Have the create site workflow run and complete, then have it start the second workflow that runs to create the list item. This will allow the second workflow to gather the data from the site once it actually exist.  I suggest doing this versus putting in a pause so that you don't bog down your server with waits on a timer job.

Is there a hard requirement that makes using one workflow necessary?