I've been working on a custom workflow action. I am able to deploy the action and create a workflow. When I run the workflow, the code in the execute portion of the activity is not executed. I am receiving no errors in my logs except that the from address and reply to address have not been configured and that I need to set this up in central admin. Does this mean that I must set up a SMTP server in my global settings to even execute a workflow, even if the workflow has no email action? I'm guessing this is the case as I'd expect to receive an error of some sort about my action's code, if it were failing somewhere.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Solved! Go to Solution.
afaik a smtp server is not required for starting and executing nintex workflows in general.
What does your custom action do? Can you maybe post the logic here so we can have a look?
To find out if this issue is actually related to your custom action, just create a simple workflow with only ootb actions (like changing the title of your element) and see if this one gets executed correctly.
Thanks for the response, Philipp. The custom action is simply the sample action that comes as part of the Nintex Workflow SDK examples with some modifications to the dialog and the necessary backing code for all the new fields/parameters. The code I've input is just a few test lines to do a POST call to a web service. Nothing that would require an email from SP/Nintex for any reason unless the SDK example logging action does something. I will definitely try out the workflow with just an ootb action vs my custom action to see if I still get the issues with the SMTP server and let you know.
Okay. As you said, SMTP is not required. I tried with a sample action and it worked fine. I then found that the workflow history will show me details about failure. A certain error that had been showing in the logs that disappeared after I made a change to fix the error shows within the workflow history details for the workflow, meaning that the dependency issue was not resolved. This was the biggest thing that threw me off as I was only receiving the from/reply to address "unexpected" errors. Thanks for the help.