Invalid email address in distribution causes workflow error on Send Notification

• 7 January 2019
  • 2 replies

I have a Send Notification as part of a workflow in SharePoint 2013. This workflow step sends emails to a large group of people that is maintained on a SharePoint site via a list. I have "Send individually addressed notifications" checked. I'm running into a problem where occasionally people have left the company, and hence emailing them causes your email to bounce back. This causes the workflow to error out immediately and anyone in the distribution list after the person that caused the workflow error, doesn't receive an email. Is there any way around this? Manually auditing the distribution list isn't feasible because it's huge. Is there any way to just ignore the error on the Send Notification step and let the workflow continue?

2 replies

Badge +8

Hi,

I havent personally tried this but could you create a SharePoint group and add the AD group into it? and then in your send notification send to SP group instead of AD group? Not sure if does any difference and cant test this out on my environment here. Have a go and let me know if it does anything differently?

Regards,

Shrini

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

extract your email address with Regex

remove duplicates, may not be necessary

Count items in the collection

For each loop

Azure AD get user details

run if userAccount not enabled

send email to admin ~ bad email

run if userAccount enabled