How to create a workflow finding documents based on values inputed?

• 8 August 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

Dear all,

I have a document library where I stored documents into different folders of projects. I want to find documents based on attribute's value I input in order to do reporting or analytics . Could you share your idea?

Thanks so much

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

use query list action and simply configure respective filter by your custom attribute.

if you want to search through subfolders, make sure 'Recursive' is checked

206424_pastedImage_2.png

Badge +4

Hi Marian,

Thanks for your advice. I am thinking of how to display search results. In order to searching documents, I created a list named as Doc Finder to input values of search attributes. Once a item added in the list, the workflow (query) will run, and then we have search results. Do you know how to display/ store the result, and how to access to the results very quick and convenient way from the Doc Finder list. Thanks so much

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

that depends on your exact needs, there are several possibilities

but if you want just to save list of filenames to a separate sharepoint list, it need not be necessary at all. simple export to excel function does moreless the same. if you setup some proper view you might get it filtered by your custom attributte as well. you can then make analytics within excel.

Badge +4

Hi Marian,

I configured the Query list as your advice. However, I don't know what value I should input for a "Field" so I can not run the workflow. And can you explain more about exporting to excel function?, where the results is stored?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

with Field you configure what library field(s) are returned by the query. likely you will need document name, and maybe some other fields.

note that if query can return more then 1 item you have to store field values into a collection variable,

export to excel is by default availble on ribbon

206439_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +4

Hi Marian,

Please refer my screenshots. In Doc Finder I added a item to search document names as "Project Handover Checklist". then I run the workflow. the result will stored in a collection variable named "search result". However the result seems not right. What should I do. Should I create another list, to retrieve  the variable values.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have you tested just with run now?

since run now doesn't run on any real document, it can not expand variables, so test you have to replace variable references with some real values