Change Column Value based on Workflow Outcome

• 24 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

I have a workflow that I am using the Start a Task Process in. The workflow is working fine but what I want to do at the end is set the status column based on the outcome of the workflow tasks. Users have the ability to Approve or Reject and all must respond before the workflow ends. What I want to do then, is have a column in my library set to the outcome of the workflow. What am I missing to have this happen?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Place a 'Set Workflow Status' action under each of the potential outcome branches for the task. Set the text for that action to the value appropriate for the branch. When the 'Set Workflow Status' action is run, it will update the column in the list representing the workflow with the value you set that will be hyperlinked to the workflow history. 

Badge +4
Thanks. I was hoping for a more dynamic way that I could do this in 1 step rather than 2. I am working within the confines of the licensing model and trying to keep my workflow to 5 or fewer steps. If there is not a more dynamic way, I will have to go this route.
Badge +3

You can try below steps,

1. Create a variable 'overall task outcome'

2. Edit the task form of the Task process

3. Use Calculated Value to compare 'overall task outcome' and the 'taskoutcome' (preexisting field). Like if any of them are Rejected, set the Value to Rejected, else Approved and connect the outcome of it to 'overall task outcome'

4. By using above formulae, the variable holds the correct outcome.

5. In the worfklow, after the task process action,  you can set the list field value with this variable.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

The "Set Workflow Status" actions will not count as billable actions in the licensing model, so you should be good there.