swethasan
Apprentice

Re: In O365 Nintex workflow App "Start a task process" Action how to capture approvers comments

Jump to solution

And check this out: Nintex Form For Office 365 – Edit Task Form | Sleep, Coffee, SharePoint and a sprinkle of random sha...

If you have this update, you can easily get the comments of approvers from 'Start a task process' for now, we don't have to worry about capturing the task ID because we now have the option to Edit the task form, which automatically adds 'comments' column. In addition to this if you want more comment columns, you can as easily add

'approver 1 comment', approver 2 comment, etc., to the SharePoint list and then expose those fields in the task form for approvers to fill out, by making the fields enabled.

Trust this works for you.

Swetha

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: In O365 Nintex workflow App "Start a task process" Action how to capture approvers comments

Jump to solution

Thanks Swetha.

Will def try this Nintex Task form option.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Swetha Sankaran--I'm not sure I understand what you're recommending. Are you suggesting that instead of using the comments section in the Task List Item we instead create a comments field(s) in the main list and just write back to that fields (or fields) from the Task Form?

I've been struggling with how to deliver this requirements in O365 for a chunk of the afternoon and your post here has me thinking that instead of trying to capture the information in the Task List (with Item IDs I don't know since I'm using a Task Process) that I instead simple point the values right back to the original list and display the values on the form. Is that where you ended up, too?

swethasan
Apprentice

Jump to solution

Nathan,

That is correct. I had to capture multiple comments from different approvers. I did that by including the fields in my master list and capturing the values based on task id. I am not sure if 'Start a task process' action allows you to capture the ID of the task. I use 'Assign a task' to capture comments.

Here is something I documented on capturing comments for one of my tasks.

Nintex Office 365 Workflow for SharePoint Online: Approval Comments Capture | Blog on cloud collabor...

Swetha

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback, Swetha Sankaran​. I am using both Assign a Task and Start a Task Process, and no, Start a Task Process doesn't give you the opportunity to easily create the Task ID. I assume that's because the Action allows for multiple tasks to be created at a time, which would mean the variable would return with multiple Task IDs, which would need to be parsed out to be useful.

I followed up on your idea yesterday of simply editing the Task Form to write back the comments to the original List Item, but I need more than the comments. Basically, on the main List Form, I want to display:

- Who approved the item

- Their comments

Capturing comments is quite easy--I just point the text field in the Task Form back to my List Item. I didn't quickly figure out how to capture the approver name. In my first attempt I tried adding an Assigned To field in my Task Form, and then pointing that data back to List Form. That did not work on my first attempt. =D I have other ideas, but most require needing the Task ID to proceed. Like, for instance, writing a quick workflow on the Task List that would write the approver name, comments, and decision to the original List Item.

It would be very fun to sit in a room with a few folks who know Nintex and come up with solutions to missing features in the Nintex O365 platform. This product is so close to being so great, yet the constant O365 roadblocks are getting in the way of that for me.

swethasan
Apprentice

Jump to solution

Anytime! I agree, it'll definitely be fun to brainstorm and learn from Nintexers experiences. Writing 'Assigned To' back to list would be  what I'd try first as well. Keep us posted on the solution you found for capturing the fields & writing them back to your list. It'll help us should we face a similar requirement.

Swetha

Not applicable

Jump to solution

At the moment I'm a bit stuck. I want to use Update List Item, but I can find no link (key) to identify the original List Item in the Task Item. Do you know of a way to add the List Item ID to the Task Item itself? If the Task Item knew the List Item ID, updating the List Item from the Task Item should be totally doable.

shaunlub
Scout

Jump to solution

Can you just select Current List / Current Item. Works for me.

ncarlson
Novice

Jump to solution

Seems like the last post on this was almost a year ago and there still is no simple way to capture the tasks ID(s) from the "Start a task process". Has anyone found a workaround for this?

I haven't worked in Nintex for over a year now and I'm coming back to find that almost all of the huge issues that were around at that time still exist. Did Nintex just give up on O365??

0 Kudos
TomaszPoszytek

Jump to solution

The described here: Linkin' Tasks or How to Get That Pesky Task Item URL  workaround works perfectly for me. So in one branch there is a "Start a task process" action. In the second I have this loop with "Pause" and then I query tasks list, setting "Where" clause to: "Instance Id = {Workflow Context:Instance ID}" - so to match value from the "Instance Id" field from Tasks list to the Instance ID value from current workflow context variables.

Regards,

Tomasz

0 Kudos