Update Nintex Workflow 2013 Installer crash

Badge +2

Hi,

I was trying to update Nintex Workflow 2013 from 3.0.8.0 to 3.1.7.0 this weekend, but the installer crashed everytime when trying to "Disabling Workflow Timer Job..."

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have not experienced this problem before during updates. Have you reviewed this documentation? Nintex Workflow 2013 - Product Update Process

Badge +2

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your reply. Yes I have reviewed this documentation.

It looks like there was a problem with the currently installed .NET Framework causing the installer to crash.

I will update our Sharepoint Servers in a few weeks and try it again.

I'll get back to you if the problem persists.

Thank you!

Badge +2

Hi Patrick. How did you go with fixing this issue? I am having the same problem trying to update to 3.1.7.10 but my .NET framework seems ok.

any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE:

We have just updated to the January 2016 update on the SP servers so I'm wondering if this is causing an issue. Anyone else had success updating Nintex after this update?

UPDATE 2:

I tried deploying the 2 test solutions from Nintex and they both worked fine.

Badge +2

I got the Nintex Workflow 3.1.7.10 to work. The application pool on our web front end server had stopped so I just restarted, retracted both Nintex Forms and Nintex Workflows and then ran the updates again.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Patrick,
Have you tried to run the installer on different Server on your Farm?
Let us know if that will work.
What we have seen in the past, that some servers in the Farm the SPTimer service just take long time to restart, and that cause these issues.
Hope that help, Majid

Badge +7

Hi Patrick,

I ran into a similar issue a few upgrades ago.  Mine worked fine once I ran it the second time around. For my last upgrade I ran into an issue where IIS wasn't started but I could just manually start up IIS. So that bit was solved easily.

Did you run the installer with the run as Administrator option?

Badge

Hello Damian,

I have the same problem (coming from 3.0.8.0). SharePoint and Windows System is fully patched (this weekend).

Tried to install different workflow installers more then 8 times.

What do you mean with: "Using the extract method ..." ?

Where can I find "install.ps1" script? 

I am a littleb it desperated.

TestingSolutionGlobal as well as TestingSolutionForWebApps can not be deploedfrom central admin.

Franz

Badge

H,

Found the answer for the How-To "exctract method" in "Automating the Install of Nintex Workflow" by Dan Stoll

http://www.sharepointpub.com/automating-the-install-of-nintex-workflow/

Extraction for manually PowerShell deployment is done at the second installscreen.

"install.ps1" is in "/workflows"

This was successfully :-)

After this the assisted (standard) installation was also successfully. Now I am on current state with this server.

As well as deployment of "TestingSolutionGlobal" and "TestingSolutionForWebApps"

Regards, Franz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For anyone looking at this question, there are several possible issues that could cause this. Thankfully those that reported the issue also posted their fixes. Here is a summary of some of those possible resolutions.

• Current and appropriate version of .Net
  • Make sure IIS is started, or restart
  • Installed a second time
  • Scripted PowerShell to run the installer
  • Current SharePoint CU patch
Badge +2

Extracting the Installer and running the PowerShell-Script did the trick.

Don't be afraid to confirm "Uninstall-SPSolution" ... "nintexworkflow2013.wsp" when you are asked to.

Retracting the solution won't affect your existing, running workflows.

Thanks a lot Franz wink.png