I want to update our forms and workflow to a more recent version and had a few questions that I could not find answers to.
Any extra words of wisdom would be appreciated too! Trying to understand the process and what to expect so I can pass it along to everyone else!
I can answer to you only to some questions:
- If we update forms, do we have to update workflow (or vice versa)?
- I do not see a reason why we would do this anyways, but it was asked of me and want to know the answer
We always recommend you upgrade your products to the most recent version. If you are scheduling down time to do this, I would recommend updating both products if you can. Updating the product to the most recent version provides you with the most up to date features/bug fixes available. This will help you from running in to an issue that may have been fixed in a later version.
It's always easier to update any product when you "want to" compared to when you "have to."
- What is the "typical" duration for the update to complete?
- I know this is dependent on a lot of different variables, but is there a max time frame?
This depends on the farm's health and how quickly the servers respond to deploying solutions and restarting services. Generally, the longest piece of the update/install process is the deployment of the solutions. We provide you with test solutions that can be run to "simulate" the solution deployment in the installer.
- Outage required?
- I assume this is yes, based on the readings thus far.
Yes, service restarts and IISresets are performed during the install process.
- Does the version of the farm affect (or need to be considered for anything)?
- We are on 14.0.7162.5000, but did not find anything that pointed to it being an issue.
Normally, this shouldn't matter too much depending on how old the version however don't quote me on that
With that being said, we test all our updates to the product on the most recent updates to SharePoint Server. Any issues with older versions would be specific to SharePoint and not to our product.
Let me know if this answers your questions.
Thanks for the insight! I am going to plan some time to update our TEST environment and see how that goes.
I am confident that everything will go smooth (fingers crossed)!