Nintex Workflow Start Service fails to start on SP 2016

• 28 July 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

I have 2 services that will not start after installing to our development setup for SharePoint 2016.

1.  Nintex Workflow Start Service

Error

Error1: Incorrect Function

2.  Nintex Connector Workflow Queue Service

3.  At the site collection level activate the features fails.....  I am guessing the services not starting are related to the site collections activate features fails for Nintex.

9 replies

Badge +3

I corrected 2 and 3 however, This service will not start.  It is by design?

Nintex Workflow Start Service

188407_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +5

Looks what ever account is used for "Nintex Workflow Start Service" and "Nintex Connector Workflow Queue Service" require execute on the SharePoint Config DB for the following procedures. Bydefault the account is Local System.

- proc_putObjectTVP

- proc_putObject

- proc_putClass

- proc_putDependency

- proc_getNewObjects

I changed the accounts for the 2 services from Local System to the same account used for the "Nintex Connector Relay Service". Then gave the account execute permissions to run the stored procedures. Obviously change to suit your environments.

use [SharePoint_Config]

GO

GRANT EXECUTE ON [dbo].[proc_putObjectTVP] TO [DomainSP_Services]

GRANT EXECUTE ON [dbo].[proc_putObject] TO [DomainSP_Services]

GRANT EXECUTE ON [dbo].[proc_putClass] TO [DomainSP_Services]

GRANT EXECUTE ON [dbo].[proc_putDependency] TO [DomainSP_Services]

GRANT EXECUTE ON [dbo].[proc_getNewObjects] TO [DomainSP_Services]

GO

The Services should then start fine. Also check out the following if changing your Nintex Connector Relay Service to something other than the Farm account which gets set on install.

https://community.nintex.com/thread/2734

Cheers,

Shane

Badge +3

I tried the above however it did not work Shane Morgan

new error on start

192670_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +3

I do not have any resolution as of yet.  I logged a ticket and I was told the account needed access to the SharePoint Configuration database.   I granted the rights which support told me and it still fails.

This is the response I received which if you use the farm account it complains in CA for heath rules.

You will need to use the farm service account for the Nintex Workflow Start Service and the Relay Service. This service account will need to be added to the dbcreator, securityadmin and db_owner security roles on the SharePoint content database.

Badge +3

Now I do not see a option not to install Live.  Did you install manually each WSP file?

Let me know as I have removed Nintex from our development server at this time for 2016.

Badge +3

We are Using SharePoint 2016 which is different than the screen grabs above.  We never see the message about not installing

Nintex Live on SharePoint 2016 with the new Installer for SharePoint 2016.  Not sure what this service really does since I cannot get a straight answer from Nintex support.    I set the service to manual for now as it never starts. 

Workflows are working in 2016 fine.  

Badge +5

I'm also now getting incorrect function on start after upgrading to the latest version... sad.png

Badge +5

Looking at the error exception message after trying to start the service from Central Admin. It looks like the service is trying to establish a TCP connection to 168.62.16.180 on port 5671 to do some function and fails when it can't connect.

Things to check would be that port 5671 is allowed through firewall wall and that the server has internet access.

We have internet access through a corporate proxy and only traffic is allowed via port 80 or 443, so this won't work at all for us.

27/10/2016 09:13:58 AM   Exception:
                         Type: System.AggregateException
                         Source: mscorlib
                         Stack trace:    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
                            at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
                            at Nintex.Workflow.Live.ServiceBus.Amqp.TcpTransport.Connect(Connection connection, Address address, Boolean noVerification)
                            at Nintex.Workflow.Live.ServiceBus.Amqp.Connection.Connect(SaslProfile saslProfile, Open open)
                            at Nintex.Workflow.Live.ServiceBus.Amqp.QueueClient.CreateConnection(String connectionString)
                            at Nintex.Workflow.Live.ServiceManager.BuildQueueClient()
                            at Nintex.Workflow.Live.ServiceManager.StartServiceBusListening()
                            at Nintex.Workflow.Live.QueueService.ServiceBusQueueService.OnStart(String[] args)
                           Inner Exception:
                           Message: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 168.62.16.180:5671
                           Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
                           Source: System
                           Stack trace:    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
                            at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
                         --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
                            at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
                            at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
                            at Nintex.Workflow.Live.ServiceBus.Amqp.TcpTransport.<ConnectAsync>d__5.MoveNext()

Badge +5

I've disabled the Connector component http://SharePoint:CA/_admin/NintexWorkflow/Live/Settings.aspx?src=/_admin/Nintex/Management.aspx

Until they fix or change the connector service to run on port 80 or 443.