Not applicable

I would like to get some suggestions on creating a workflow that grabs a tracking # from a field in a sharepoint list, and updates the delivery status from UPS or Fedex

Being new to Nintex, I would like to get some suggestions on how you more seasoned users would go about creating something like this. Wasn't sure if I should go with an XML or if there was some sort of other function in Workflows that would work better. Appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
shaneoss
Scout

Re: I would like to get some suggestions on creating a workflow that grabs a tracking # from a field in a sharepoint list, and updates the delivery status from UPS or Fedex

You can query your SharePoint list for tracking number and store the result in a variable. You can also update list items e.g. delivery status based on actions of your choosing. You just need to define what you want to happen and when.

Not applicable

Re: I would like to get some suggestions on creating a workflow that grabs a tracking # from a field in a sharepoint list, and updates the delivery status from UPS or Fedex

Ideally....Users would enter a shipment into a list. One field would be a pick list that gives the user the option to select UPS or Fedex. Once they save it the workflow would go out to either Fedex or UPS based on the pick list option chosen and pull the expected delivery date and current shipping status.

A separate workflow would then run each morning and update the expected delivery date and ship status. 

0 Kudos
shaneoss
Scout

In that case...

It's just a basic workflow that does something.. e.g. creates a new order with UPS or FedEx based on input using workflow option "New Items created".

The next bit may be a little more complicated. But I would..

Probably work with RSS to get the tracking info: http://www.wikihow.com/View-Package-Tracking-Information-Via-RSS

then have a workflow to process the RSS input. A good example i've used in the past is: http://www.vadimtabakman.com/nintex-workflow-rss-parsing.aspx

Hope it helps.

Not applicable

Hello again. I stepped away from this for a few days to try to lower my blood pressure and frustration. =)

I've looked at reducing the number of workflow items at this point just to get the xml parsing figured out. Below is the overview that I've come up with.

The build string is the "access token" that is required to pull API info from UPS. I pulled the code from the UPS developer's guide and tested it outside of Nintex, and verified that the code is valid.

Next, the "query XML" function contains the second set of XML code that actually retrieves the shipping data from UPS. This too is straight from the UPS developer's kit and I have verified the code outside of Nintex. I've manually populated a tracking number into the code that I know is a valid tracking number.

Lastly, I made the notification to just email the results that it returns from the UPS website.

When I execute this workflow, it runs without any errors. My email contains 3 pieces of info. The "colUPSAccess" and "txtUPSAccess" populates with my Username, Password, and access key, which isn't a surprise.

The "trackresults" variable is where I expect to get the tracking info. Right now it's returning: "track", "activity" and the tracking number I'm querying.

Any ideas on why my query isn't returning any shipping information? Appreciate the help.

Overall

Variables

Build String

Variables

Query XML

query

XML Code in the above screenshot.

xml

Email

Email

0 Kudos
emha
Collaborator

setup of query XML action doesn't make too much sense to me...

XML seems to be something that probably should be sent out to UPS. but XPath expression seems to be something that should process result returned from UPS.

do you expect query XML action sends out a request to UPS?

that's not the case, the action just XPath expression on the XML provided.

furthermore, there is no CurrentStatus node within response example you provided, so your XPath expression is likely not correct.

0 Kudos