Hide or Disable fields for New Item

• 1 February 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +7

I am using SharePoint 2013. I also have Nintex Forms and Nintex workflows.    When adding a new item to a list,  is there an easy way to hide or disable a field using Nintex workflow or must it be done within the form?  If it must be done in the form, is there a way to do it in a standard SharePoint form?  If not, how would I do this using Nintex forms?

Thanks.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

There are a lot of ways to accomplish this, I'll just point you towards a common one.   With a Nintex form you could use rules (see this video here)   That would enable you to hide or disable controls on the form.   If you do not wish for a user to interact with a field, you do not have to include it on the form at all.   Nintex Forms is very flexible in this regard.

I would recommend using Nintex Forms over out of the box Sharepoint, due to the ease in which you can create great looking custom forms.

Thanks,

Mike

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Susie,

I agree that using Nintex Form rules is the best way to approach this

If you have a field that you do not want to show in new form (the lookup in my example) you could create the following rule

198178_pastedImage_3.png

The Is New Mode rule can be found in the common tab in the condition dialog.

There are other ways to achive this. You could edit the newform of the list via SharePoint Designer. You could have 2 content types at the list and have a workflow switching from the one without the field to the one with whe field but if you have Nintex Forms it's the way to go as it is the easiest and most flexible way to achieve your goal.

Kind regards,

Enrico

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Here's a blog I wrote a while back that talks about Form Mode / new , edit, view Form Rules Based on Form Mode 

It talks about a validation rule, but you could apply a formatting rule just as easily. 

Badge +11

Just some additional information (Mike and Enrico said all the important stuff already wink.png):

You cannot do this via Nintex Workflow as the workflow will fire when the item is submitted, not when you open up the NewItem-form.

But in case there are reasons why you do not want or cannot use Nintex forms here, you could achieve the same by using your forms JSLink property. This way you can inject some javascript/Jquery to your form to hide/disable your controls.

Badge +6

And another additional information, please keep in mind that by default users could change the column via the "Quick Edit" view of the list, so you should disable the "Quick Edit" view in the settings of the list.