Not applicable

I am new to Nintex

Jump to solution

I am brand new to Nintex workflows, but very experienced with SharePoint and SP Designer workflows.  I need to create a WF that adds rows to a list based on a  Name field and a number field.  The number field indicates how many rows, with the name field, to add to the list.  Is this possible?

Thanks.

Ben

0 Kudos
13 Replies
fccrous
Workflow Veteran

Re: I am new to Nintex

Jump to solution

Hi Ben,

This is possible.  I will use a Loop action with a counter integer (and add 1 every loop) and compare the counter integer to the Number field until you reach the number.   Inside the loop action I will use a Create new Item Action which will then create a new item for each loop with the name field.

Let me know if I need to expand on the explanation.

rszabo
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi, Fccrous,

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Ben

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

I think I will need further elaboration.

I created 2 test lists:  Alpha Test List and Beta Test List.  This, in a simplistic way recreates two actual data-bearing lists I have elsewhere.  The Alpha Test List has two fields: 'Title', a plain text field and  'Quantity', a number field with no decimals.

Beta Test List has one field called 'Title' which I would like to store the multiple row entries indicated by 'Quantity' field in the Alpha Test List. When someone saves a new form in Alpha Test List the workflow automatically starts and writes the extra rows to the Beta Test List.

So I started out by adding a condition:

If current item field equal value

Where Created

Is greater than or equal to

Value  checked checkbox that states: "Use date when action is executed.

Not sure this is the best place to start.

I am not sure how to tell the loop to use the Quantity field info.

That's where I am at now.

Thanks.

Ben

fccrous
Workflow Veteran

Jump to solution

Hi Ben,

See the screenshots below for a loop.  I will start this workflow on Alpha test list when a new item is created.

This is the loop that I will add to the workflow.

Inside the loop action I will compare The Number field from Alpha list with a counter which is a variable that I created and defaulted to 0 and as long as it is not equal to each other keep on looping. I used Workflow data for the Number field but you will use the Current Item option and select the value field from the Alpha test list here.

I used dummy lists on my side so just replace Minpro_test with Beta Test List for your example.  So in the create item action select your beta test list and create a value for this loop.

Then add a math action that will increment the counter value.

And that should be it.  The workflow should now loop through for the number of times and create the values in BETA list.

Let me know if something is not working.  And like Szabó Róbert​ mentioned, go check the safe looping settings.

Thanks,

Francois

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Oops. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Francois

Could you attach this information with the images in a Word doc and re-send?

Our mail server strips out all the images from the email message..

Thanks.

Ben

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Francois,

Never mind the word doc. With all the trash our mail server puts on our mail I missed the fact that I could log into the blog and see your response with everything intact at

https://community.nintex.com/message/39184?et=watches.email.thread#comment-39184

Thanks again

Ben