How to create multiple automatic reminders on assigned tasks?

• 25 June 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

I have multiple SharePoint pages using the Tasks List feature. My goal is to be able to create a workflow that automatically send reminders for assigned tasks. The auto reminder will be sent 3-days before the due date, on the day that the task is due, and/or if the task is past due. I have Nintex Worfklow 2013 and I tried creating a work flow using the Workflow Action "Assign to-do task"; however it's asking me to input the "Assignees". I don't have the assignees yet as those will be defined upon creating a task. I'm not clear as to why we would need to create an "Assignee" in the Workflow when that's defined during the creation of the task itself. May someone explain this and provide the steps (and steps within each workflow action) that will help me automatically send:

1. A reminder that the task is due in 3-days.

2. The tasks is due today!

3. Your task is [day] overdue.

Once this is created, will I be able to apply it to all Tasks List or must I create a new Workflow for each Task List?

Thank you so much!

5 replies

Badge +9

Hi Lisa,

One of the primary functionalities of the Assign a Task action is to actually create the task itself, that is why it needs an assignee. If you allow the task to create the task and set the assignee, then the action will be able to manage the reminders (and possibly escalation) of the task item itself.

If you are creating tasks already via a different route, what you may want to look at is actually a different approach. A daily scheduled site workflow that runs a query list on your task list for tasks that meet x criteria for reminders, then for each item generate a reminder email and send it to the assignee. 

Let me know if that clears things up.

Callum

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Lisa,

While what you're requesting (I think) is possible, it wouldn't be the way I'd recommend using Nintex.  I think what you're saying is that someone creates a task in the task list and you want a workflow to then manage the reminders and escalations for that task.  Is that correct?

If it is, instead of having a person manually create the task in the task list, have Nintex create it.  I'm probably missing some information about your entire process but let's say you want a task created.  I'd create a custom list with the name of the assignee and other info about the task and this is where people would add tasks.  Then you create a single workflow that starts when a new item (i.e. task) is created.  That workflow uses the assign a task action and you set all the necessary fields such as assignee, reminders etc in that action.

Cheers,

Chris

Badge +2

Hi Chris, 

Yes, that's what I'm looking to do but I'm very new to Nintex and have been using SharePoint mostly as a shared drive than anything. I would love to be able to utilize it's automated functionalities and have been searching online trying to find a step-by-step process on how to set this up. It's not very easy to find and I keep running into errors with the workflows I try to create.

Let me just re-explain my goal or object here: 

I would like to be able create tasks and send it to anyone in my organization.

The workflow will then: 

1. Send a notification to the assignee that they've been assigned a task: please accept or deny. 

2. After accepting, a reminder email will be sent to them 3 or 4 days before the due date saying, "hey! don't forget you have this task, please update the status" or what not. 

3. Sends another email on the due date reminding them their task is now due. 

I would like these notifications to all be automated once a task is created and assigned.  Here's how I currently have it. It sends a notification that a new task has been assigned, but it doesn't send any reminders and then I'll receive an error saying it stopped working. I would really love to get this process going. All screenshots and step by step would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Lisa,

It looks like you're using Nintex for SharePoint on-prem rather than o365 but you've posted the question in the o365 forum so I've moved it just in case this post helps other new users.

A few questions for you before we try and devise a solution

1. if you assign a task to someone and they reject it, what happens?
  2. Also if you assign a task to someone and they don't reply, what happens?
  3. Would it work better if you assigned a task to someone and if they didn't want to work on it, they hit reject and it goes back to person who originally created the task and instead of hitting accept, they just work on the task.  If they are slow in responding, it will prompt them.

Cheers,

Chris

Badge +2

Hi Chris, 

Great question. I wanted to include the reject/approve option so that I know the task has been read. In your 3rd suggestion, you mention if they are slow in responding, it will prompt them. How can I set that up? Is it also possible that once the status is changed to complete, the reminder notification will end. Where did you move my question to? I was not able to find Nintex for SharePoint on-prem so I posted it to o365. Thanks!

Best,

Lisa