Custom Roles

• 3 February 2009
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +5

Hi

I have two questions about roles.

For my custom role i created a smart-object wich calls a webservice with two parameters, the webservice get the right username from a sql database and returns the username. Is there any way to configure the role-parameters (the SO-Method parameters) in the workflow itself without custom code?

When i run my example workflow wich has only a client event who his destination role is my custom role, i doesn't work, the user don't see the task. When i first run the same SO-Event as configured in the custom role and store the return value in a workflow-field, and then assign the client-event to this workflow-filed it works.

any idea?

thanks

2 replies

Badge +11

When you use a SmartObject as the source for a role, you must supply any input parameters when you create the role.  You cannot change these parameters at runtime. 

For your situation, instead of using a role, use the SmartObject directly in the destination rule of the client event.  You can then specify what fields from the context browser to to bind the input properties of your SmartObject.  At runtime the fields you bound to the input properties of the SmartObject will be evaluated and your destination will be the filtered result from the SmartObject. 

This makes it very easy to have dynamic lookups for destinations using SmartObjects!

David

Badge +5

Thank you for your tip. I will try it.

Ueli