Reminder ignores Due Date in Flexi Task?

• 25 February 2016
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +2

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Nintex and have a seemingly simple problem but just don't know why it happened.

Here's the scenario. I'm wanting to test Reminder alerts if an item is not approved/rejected one (1) Day after item creation and every hour thereafter if still not worked on.

1. I've created a Workflow Variable called "My Due Date Variable".
  2. Added a Calculate Date action. Entered "1" in the Days field. Also ticked 'Use date when action is executed' option. Stored the date in My Due Date Variable.
  3. Added Flexi Task action. Set Due Date field to My Due Date Variable. Under Reminder tab, I added "20" for Number of reminders field. Also added "1" for Hours field.

Problem: I received the email alert 1 hour after item creation (and subsequent hours). It acts as though the Due Date field did not matter and Reminder alerts were not dependent upon Due Date Variable. Shouldn't the Reminder alerts trigger after Due Date has passed?

Appreciate if anyone can shed some light. Using WF 2013 v3.1.6.0. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jay

CalcDate.pngFlexiDue.pngFlexiReminder.png

5 replies

Badge +6

Hi Jay,

Sadly, I don't really know what the value of the Due Date field is, in the Task. As you have found out, it does not really drive any logic, just indicates the date that the task is due and according to the help:

"Set a date for the task to be completed by. Note: When tasks appear in Nintex Mobile Apps, the tasks list will be sorted by this due date. "

What you can do, is implement a parallel action similar to below:

The idea here is that the task is on the left branch and the reminders are triggered out of the loop on the right branch. I have the loop running for a status that persists until the contract has been returned in my case. The "run if" simply compares the dates and if the current date is greater than the due date, send the reminder. The loop then pauses (in my case for a day), before comparing the dates again.

I hope that gives you some idea.

Regards,

Mark

Badge +2

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for the response. I've used OOTB SharePoint 2010 Workflow in the past and the Due Date and Reminder just worked seamlessly, even though the overall functionality is limited. Your example is helpful and will give it a shot.

I can see why some of the discussions in the forum suggested using Parallel actions. I welcome any other feedback from the community on my question or the topic.

Thanks,

Jay

Badge +5

Hi Jay.

Documentation below does not have any info on the fact that reminder waits for "Due Date" to pass before they are sent. And your testing confirms it. The approach Mark describes above is a solution I have also used which should work for you in your scenario.

http://nintexdownload.com/sl/supportfiles/NintexWorkflow2013Helpfile.pdf

One simpler solution that has also worked for my clients( if your business accepts it) would be for instance set the due date to 2 days after task creation. You set reminder to send two reminders on a daily basis. In your email show the due date each time the reminder is sent. Idea is remind them before its due.

If people still don't action on it, then "Escalate" to another person/group (Assignee's manager for example) or escalate by auto-complete teh tasks. Considering the escalation process actually waits for all reminders to be sent first. (refer to documentation above)

Badge +2

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your suggestion. I can imagine that your solution will be useful for critical work or that has some urgency.

Thanks for file link. The 'Escalation - Complete Task' looks to be a very useful option.

I've got a meeting with a colleague shortly to develop a workflow. I'll see what his requirements are when it comes to Reminder. If it fits within either Mark's or your solution, I have a good reference. Thanks both!

regards,

Jay

Badge +16

‌ did you find a resolution in the end?