How to use Nintex workflow to control documents added to document library?

Scenario: Use Nintex workflow as a front end for a Document Library...  for Compliance Documents. 

There are various meta-data we want to associate to compliance documents as well as differing workflows based on the selection of metadata... at the time a form is submitted. We want to use a workflow for adding documents to SharePoint. For example, we want a user choose a dropdown option and a choice for document type may be: "How To/SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)". If this choice is selected, more options/metadata may be required and it could change the approval workflow.

Every example for Nintex involves lists. Lists are NOT a document library. Multiple posts in this forum have indicated this can be done and reference solutions, but none of the links work. I can't find a single example of using Nintex to  control the workflows related to documents. 

NOTE: Due to compliance and the nature of our business, an online/cloud option is not viable. We cannot use Power Automate (requires the cloud), and we have Nintex workflow for our internal SharePoint servers. 

Are the any examples or demos showing how to use Nintex workflows to control how documents are added to a SharePoint document library?

2 replies

Badge +7

@TrevorW, I use Nintex workflow on document libraries all the time.  It works with libraries in exactly the same way it works with lists.  However, it is not possible to use a workflow to upload a document.  Workflows run in the context of a list/library item, until an item is created, a workflow can't run on it.  You can trigger the workflow on item upload, but you can trigger item upload by workflow.  If you want to define required properties based on other field selections, that should be managed via the upload form, not the workflow.  Additionally, any document properties, can be used to direct the workflow actions.  I will be happy to help you, if you want to share more details of what you want to accomplish.

If you want to define required properties based on other field selections, that should be managed via the upload form, not the workflow.

Can you elaborate? This is the key to everything.