What is the best way to modify and test a workflow without impacting the \Production\" workflow?"

• 10 February 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

I created a workflow and have turned it over to my customer to use in his "Production" environment.  Now I want to make changes and test it.  What is the best way to set this up?  My first attempt was to create a copy within the same site.  However, each time I create a new entry in my list, both workflows (test and production) are kicked off.  

Suggestions? 

3 replies

Badge +4

Susie,

My guess is that even though you have created a copy, you might be still using all the same lists, sites, and references which is causing the behavior you are seeing.

Ideally, the Client should have a Dev or a QA environment and it is there you need to make changes and test, and then move to prod.

In the absence of that, I would reluctantly say, you will need to create the same infrastructure that the workflow is using (like lists, sites etc.,) and get your copy to refernce those, and then you can use it to test.

My 2 cents.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Quickest way is probably what ‌ recommended in creating a copy.  You could save the production list as a template with the data.  Then use that to create a test list so it will have the same structure and data as the main list. You can then put your workflow on that list and test any changes.  When you're finished updating it, you should be able to export it and load it to the production list without needing to change anything. 

Badge +7

Thank you!