Filtering a choice list based on another choice list

Badge +6

Hi Everyone

I have a choice (check box list) of 5 items (Portfolio List) which is displayed across the form.  There are a number of products listed in another choice (Check box) list.  I would like to have the relevant products appearing underneath the 5 items above.  The issue is that both lists can have multiple selections made.  For example:

FieldA              FieldB

Finance         Options are F-Auto, F-Equip, FSales

Lending         Options are L-Cash, L-Market, L-Banks

Merchants     Options are M-Equip, M-Card, M-No Card, M-xxx, M-yyy etc

At the moment the all items for Field B are in one list.   When the user selects Finance, I would like only those options for Finance to appear.  They can select more than one item in FieldA and they can also select more than one item in FieldB.

Is this possible?

I have had a look at one example but the FieldA was not a choice list so it didn't work.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

Renee

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Choice lists have a very own way to save there value which makes it hard to allow cascading selections based on choice list views, because you can only validate the value with "equals" and not "contains". Easiest way would surely be to have 3 Checkboxes Finance, Lending and Merchants and then have 3 more choice lists with your field be options underneath them. This is not as sexy as your approach but it's easy to realize.

Badge +6

I agree - it wouldn't be as sexy but  I will give it a try.  Will let you know how I go. Thanks very much for your help.