How to create item in a folder in List Item ?

• 6 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Hello everyone,

With a list workflow, I want to create an item in a folder in another list.

The action I used is "Office 365 Create List Item or Document Set".

But I have an issue with this action.

Here are some screenshots to explain the problem :

1) The action's configuration : 

We can see here that I wrote "France" for the folder, I tried many things like the entire path of the folder or a lookup on the list with the folder's name.

2) The list with 2 folders : 

3) The error I always have : 

Of course, this is not a permission problem. I am totally admin with the account.

Am I doing something wrong ? 

I saw a similar case here :  

But it works only to create folders (I tried it, and yes it works).

Have you seen cases like this?

Maybe I am not seeing the right thing?

Is there another action I can use?

Thanks for all your answers.

Regards, 

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Salut Pierre,

You are using the correct action and the setting look correct.  i.e. your destination site URL is configured to point to the same site, the List Name looks correct and I've presumed you have correctly typed the username and password otherwise the workflow would error with a different message.  Therefore it should work!!  I've also replicated this in my environment and it works.

Here are some things to check/test:

• Can you change your action to create the list item and remove the folder name? i.e. create the item without a folder. If it errors then there's something else wrong and we can debug from there
  • Have you enabled folder creation in the Local Market MAP list?
  • Did you create the Local Market MAP list and the columns with the names as displayed or did you use a different name for them and then subsequently rename?

J'espere que je vous ai aider!

Cheers,

Chris

Badge +4

Hi Chris,

Thank you for you answer.

- I already tried that, and it worked. I can even create a folder.

- Yes, the folder creation is enabled.

- I always create the lists and the columns without spaces. And after, I rename them with spaces. But if I publish the action with the internal name of the list, the workflow doesn't recognize the list. So I guess, it needs just the name.

As I see, my english is as good as your french, thanks for that haha

Regards,

Pierre Nouet

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Salut Pierre,

Non - votre anglais est meillieur que mon francais! wink.png

Donc, j'ai trouve la probleme.

This is a tough one because I was able to replicate exactly what you're experiencing in my o365 environment but I couldn't find a fix. I can suggest a workaround though.

The issue appears to be with the internal name of the list.  It was created without spaces and then renamed.  The Nintex action is struggling with this when a folder is involved.  Here's how I reached this conclusion:

Created a list with spaces in the name:

• successfully executed the action with and without a folder specified

Created a list without spaces in the name and then renamed the list to include spaces:

• successfully executed the action without a folder specified
  • received the same error as you when specifying a folder name

Therefore I suspect the spaces in the renamed list are causing the error.  I tried different combinations of %20 and putting a / after the list but nothing worked (all said 'List does not exist')

So I have two pieces of advice:

• Create a list with spaces in the name and use that as a workaround.
  • Report this as a bug to Nintex

Bonne chance et bonne journee

@+

Badge +4

Salut Chris !

So as you said, it was due to the name of the list.

The action can create an item in a folder in a list item if, and only if, the display name of the target list is equal to its internal name!

And yes, you got it, if you just want to create an item in the list OR create a folder in the list it works with a display name which is not equal to the internal name.

But if you specified the internal name, it doesn't work.

I don't know why nintex do this with the display name and not the internal name.

But hey, you found it! Thank you!

Bonne journée à toi aussi happy.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Parfait!

Those names get fiddly.  I understand it is best practice to create lists and columns without spaces and rename later but then sometimes it causes issues like this!  I still recommend contacting Nintex support and reporting this as a bug.

Aussi, pourriez-vous marquer ma reponse correcte?

Merci,

Chris