Setting a field value to current logged in user

• 1 February 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +8

Hi,

I have a SharePoint list where one of the fields is a people  field. I have about 10 items in the list . However, I would like the first item in the list to auto-populate with current logged in user. Is this possible using Nintex workflows?

Please help.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

When do you want it to auto-populate?  Each time a person visits the list?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

do you really want to customize in list view what's presented to users?

list view shows single item's current values, why would you want to present something else?

(it's of course possible, it just doesn't give me too much sense)

if you have said you want to update fields value of latest item that would make a bit more sense.

maybe you should describe your business requirement rather then what you tried to show/tweak and somebody might come up with better/easier solution.

Badge +8

Hi Brendan,

Yes, whenever a user visits the list.

Thank you,

Badge +8

Hi Marian,

My Business Requirement is:

Show a list of people associated with a particular group in the company (with their picture) and these list items are fixed entries. But one of the rows should show the current logged in user. 

Please let me know if this is not clear.

Thank you,

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

It's clear, but to ‌'s point, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  What is the reason behind this requirement?  What does showing the logged in user in a list accomplish?  In SharePoint the top right corner of a site shows you your name. 

If you still end up proceeding with this, I don't think Nintex is going to be your answer for this.  You would need to do something with jquery on the page, because you could have two users hitting a page at the same time, and you can't keep changing the value in a list for each person.  You basically need to spoof what the user sees on the page if that's the route you go. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I won't touch the business requirements because I'm on the same page as Brendan Murphy‌ & Marian Hatala‌ - but - I mean, you sort of need a trigger or input for Nintex to pick this up. If you can get them to click a button - then, yes, Nintex can do this. I worry about things automatically starting on a page visit, and, as Brendan says, this isn't quite the right tool for that!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

so do you want everybody sees him-/her-self as a group member even if he/she is if fact not the member?

next, I believe you have several groups and any of them can be examined on the page. so do you want everybody sees him-/her-self as a group member of every single group in your company?

if the purpose is just to provide info about current user then I would look for different approaches. if info in top right corner as suggested by Brendan Murphy‌ is not sufficiient, then IMHO the best option for you would be to create a customized page where one webpart will be list view for you group list and the other webpart will present info about current user. that way it would be as well visually clear who are the group member and who is current user.