File not found error displaying K2 Management in Central Admin or portal

• 9 December 2009
  • 9 replies

Badge +10

Hi

I'm trying to access the k2 Management in MOSS Central Admin and get the following error:

"The system cannot find the file specified"

Looking in the Hostserver log file it gives errors about a missing file but doesn't specify which one:

"2998","2009-12-08 06:55:48","Error","System","2025","InternalMarshalError","SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Runtime.HostServerBroker.InternalMarshal","2025 Error Marshalling SourceCode.Security.UserRoleManager.Runtime.UserRoleManagerServer.GetDefaultLabelName, The system cannot find the file specified.
","system","10.10.1.32","corbdrsps1:D:Program FilesK2 blackpointHost ServerBin","2998","59ed4074cdea4522abe8cf43f0e488ac",""
"2999","2009-12-08 06:55:48","Error","System","2025","InternalMarshalError","SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Services.TCPClientSocket.InternalMarshal","2025 Error Marshalling SourceCode.Security.UserRoleManager.Runtime.UserRoleManagerServer.GetDefaultLabelName, The system cannot find the file specified.

We've tried doing a repair and installing the latest update but we still receive the same error.  Any ideas on what the problem or where to look?

Blackpoint is installed on the MOSS server and talks to SQL on a separate server.

9 replies

Badge +3

Have you looked at the IIS Logs for the Website in question to see which file may be "missing" ?

Badge +3

Also, did you follow the account pre-requisites for the SharePoint website app pool identity?

Server Security

The SharePoint application pool service account must either be a local administrator or be granted rights to log to the event logs (see http://blogs.bluethreadinc.com/jragan/archive/2009/10/07/configuring-for-uls-verbose-logging-as-part-of-basic-sharepoint.aspx)

and

The SharePoint application pool service account must be granted the following windows ACLs:

Rights

Path

Modify

%SYSTEMROOT% emp

Write

%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%Microsoft Sharedweb server extensions12LayoutsFeatures

Write

%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%Microsoft Sharedweb server extensions12ISAPI

Badge +10

There are no errors in the SharePoint logs.  Its loading the ManagementConsole.aspx and the associated gifs and that but it appears that its creating a tree control and I'm assuming going against the managment APIs but failing.

Another piece of information is that the K2 Worklist webpart is failing saying Authentication failed but looking in the log its generating the same error as the K2 Management console that it cannot find the specified file. 

Badge +10

I followed your post and hit the site to regenerate the error but there was no additional information in the Event Log or in the SharePoint log.  Only in the K2 log do we see the error message.

Badge +3

Ohhh, sorry I thought this was an error in SharePoint.  Is this a distributed installation?  Can you make sure the k2 service account has access to the C:windows emp folder on the k2 host?  (In asp.net apps I've seen a similiar error pop up due to .net serialization/deserialization activities happening there and default security not granting full control to the account that needs it)

Badge +10

Those permissions are set.  The blackpoint service account is local administrator on the server.  MOSS and blackpoint are on the same server while SQL resides on another server.

The other item which I didn't think was a problem anymore is we're installing blackpoint to the D drive (non system partition).  Has anyone experienced problems with this with blackpoint?

Badge +10

Some additional information:

We did an uninstall, deleted the databases and reinstalled but got the same error. This time we installed K2 Studio and when we try to connect to the Object Browser it gives the following error:

system.security.cryptography exception cannot find the file specified

Note we've made sure that the blackpoint service account has full control of the C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication dataMicrosoftCryptoRSAMachineKeys

One weird thing we've seen is each time we log on with the K2 blackpoint service account which we did the installation with it creates a new profile. The old ones are like blackpoint001 and blackpoint002. Not sure if thats related or not.

Badge +3

Sounds to me like things are locked down in such a way as the service account doesn't have rights to list/read the existing profile store so it's creating a new one each time which, similarly, could also be why it doesn't have access to read the Machine Key store even though you've specifically granted it.  (Like, perhaps something at the system or group policy level is messing with you)

Badge +10

Okay, after more troubleshooting it appears that there is some error with the profiles for the service account even though it has local admin rights and after looking at the AD group policies there is nothing readily appearent that would cause it to be locked down.  However, every time we logged on it would create another profile (acountname002 and 003...) and then certain aspects of blackpoint would not work cause it couldn't access certain files (its uncertain exactly what files they would be).

Logging in with specific accounts and running the bpservice while logged in with that account appeared to then cause everything in blackpoint to begin working.