How to kick off a Nintex workflow from a drop down list selection

Badge +6

I created a Nintex form in SharePoint 2016. In the form I have many controls including a drop down list control, which is tied to a column in the SharePoint list.

I know that we can fire a workflow to perform some logic when the user clicks on the SAVE button. That is when the item gets created. But I want the workflow to perform the logic before the user clicks on the save button. 

I want a date field in the form to be updated based on the selection the user made on the dropdown list. That is when I want to workflow to fire (behind the scene) and change the value in the date field. 

How do I accomplish this. I prefer using workflows to perform the logic.

Thanks so much.

Mayank

5 replies

Badge +12

@guru2000 ….have you explored the Calculated Control to perform date calculation on the form?

As far as the workflow is concerned, you cannot trigger the workflow without creating an item first. You need to understand that there are lot of dependencies in the workflow which solely depends on the SharePoint item's existence. e.g. Workflow History, Workflow Instance, Tasks, etc.

Badge +6
Thank you for the clarification. Could you elaborate more on Calculated controls. How can I accomplish what I want using calculated controls.
Badge +12

@guru2000 I don't know the logic for "I want a date field in the form to be updated based on the selection the user made on the dropdown list." Can you tell me something about your logic on what date should be populated based on the DD selection?

Badge +6
Hi KunalPatel, I have a Request and TargetDate field in the SharePoint List. In the Nintex form, I want the user to select a Request value from the DropDown control. Want the TargetDate field to show up for that corresponding Request value. I want that to happen as soon as the user changes selection in the drop down control. Do not want that to happen when the user clicks on the save button. I hope that is clear. Appreciate your help.
Badge +12

@guru2000 ....can you give me some example values? You saying based on the Request value the target date should be automatic, correct?

Now can you tell me how many Request values you have in a dropdown?