Nanehi
Nintex Newbie

How to have independent Save buttons on multiple panels?

Jump to solution

I am using on premise SharePoint 2013 Nintex 2013.

I have a process that needs multiple panels.  Each panel is for use by a different functional group.  Each group needs to enter their information and when the save the form, workflow sends an email to the next group.  The next group click on a link and they are brought to the form, where they enter their information and save it to email the next group, etc.

This is a basic example of what I am trying do.  I have a form with 2 panels, Panel A and Panel B.  Each panel has a two columns.  One is required and one is not required.

Each panel has its own Save and Cancel button.

2 Panels with Save buttons2 Panels with Save buttons

When I Save Panel A, Panel B, Column 3, which is a required field, prevents me from saving the form.

I tried using validation rules on the required columns, but that worked the same way.

Is there a way to have independent Save buttons for each panel?  Ones that are not looking at required fields in an adjacent panel.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nj
Nintex Newbie

Re: How to have independent Save buttons on multiple panels?

Jump to solution

If you're doing this in a workflow, make the task form LOOK like the Item form and have them make their changes there instead of having them open one form just to go to the item form to make changes.  Doing this will allow you to set different required fields as well.

0 Kudos
eharris04
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Currently its not possible to put a "save" button on each panel because the entire form must be submitted to "save" the data to the list. 

Also, you cannot force a control to be required in the normal sense. My recommendation would be to use rules to run a validation on if the control is empty.validate(ifempty).PNG

validate(ifempty)2.PNG

We are working on a new rules engine that will enable this and more, but that is not something that is currently possible. May I suggest looking at a different way to potentially allow the user to input information. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
emha
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

how do you keep track what step/stage your are currently in?

how do you recognize, when somebody opens the form from a link, what controls/panel/section s/he should fill in?

do you hide or disable (currently) not relevant panels?

these kind of scenarios use to be handled with a "tabbed form" where there is an extra control (eg. choice) which keeps track of current stage and controls other actions within the form.

if you eg. had an choice with options like 'Step A', 'Step B', etc. then you could configure a validation for 'Column3' control like

CurrentStageChoice == 'Step B' && IsNullOrEmpty(Column3)

so that it doesn't prevent to save form in 'Step A'

see an example in KB

https://community.nintex.com/t5/How-To-s/How-To-Create-Tab-Like-Functionality-In-Forms/ta-p/86705?co...

or further similar topics

https://community.nintex.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=tabbed%20form

0 Kudos
eharris04
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Having a form with tabs is quite possible and using them on the edit form is also quite possible. However the form only has one save button. If you want to save different sections, you can do that but the save button does one thing, write data back to SharePoint.

I'm not suggesting you cannot have tabs or different sections of the edit form, I've done plenty of those. However, It was only one save button. So I used panels to show/hide data, had tabs to navigate a user and then the one save button to save whatever was inputted into the form at the correct time. 

It is possible, so yes it can be done, but not with multiple save buttons. I mean in theory you could have multiple save buttons, but technically they all are calling the same function control "save and submit". You won't be able to save and stay unless you use the Save As function which I do not think was rolled out to on-prem yet.

0 Kudos