How to have a blank line in a form drop down list

Badge +3

I have Nintex forms for SharePoint on-premise.

My drop down boxes are populated by the SharePoint lists.

I want the first line of the drop down list to be empty. However, the first entry in the list settings turns out to be the first entry in the list.

Even when I add a blank line to the list in settings, the Nintex forms drop down list ignores the blank in settings and shows the first line that has text. I want the drop down list to show the blank. 

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi

In the "Appearance" section of dropdown control settings, select Yes for "use custom Please Select value" and then leave "custom select text" as blank, hope it helps

Badge +3
Hi Kchaluvadi,
The Appearance section on my drop down control settings does not have a "use custom Please Select value."
My Appearance section only has Visible (yes/no/expression) and Enabled (yes/no/expression).
Maybe that's because I'm using Classic as opposed to reactive.
My Nintex form is on SP 2013 on premise.
Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi,

How what is the data source of the dropdown list?

Badge +3
The data source is a Share Point on-premise list.
Badge +3

Another thing that I've tried is, in the drop down Control Settings, I set the Default value source to "Specify default value" and then in the Default value box, I inserted a "New Line" formula from the Common tab.

Then I previewed the Nintex form, but there was still no blank line.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Ok, it looks you are using a "list looup" for drop down and not a choice column. right?

Also share a screenhot of dropdown settings. It helps to understand the issue.

Badge +3

Badge +3

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Looks strange, the below screenshot is from SP13 Nintex Form, I can see option for custom select text and then can leave it as blank as shown below, and I am using Nintex Forms version 2.11.2.2 Enterprise edition.

Badge +3

Badge +3

I bet yours is in responsive mode whereas mine is in classic mode. I'm going to create a new list and make a Nintex form in responsive style and see if mine matches yours.

Badge +3

Apparently, I was wrong. 

Even in Responsive form, I don't get the choices you get.

I'm going to talk to our SharePoint admin and see if he has any ideas why.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi, No, I am not using responsive, it is classic form only. The classic form shows that option to the dropdown control with "Choice" data type. By the way, what version of Nintex Form you are using?

Badge +3

I think it is version 2.12

Badge +8

Hi @MrBabakS,

have you tried removing the default value in the settings of your choice column?