Workflow to create Invoice Approval Process

• 24 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hello all,

I've been tasked to do a worfklow, which sounds fairly simple in my head, but when I start to build it out, I'm clueless.  I've searched and similar posts are there, but not sure if I'm searching with proper keyword or not.

The workflow will be to approve or reject a invoice submitted to a business manager.  When engineering team is set to purchase product/hardware, the invoice is uploaded to the library, and workflow will send notification to the business manager.  She will approve or reject it.  If rejected, she is allowed to ask questions or add comments, which in turn goes back to the engineering team, and they provide answers.  This can go back and forth multiple times, before finally being approved.  In the end, all comments must be recorded somewhere.  

I tried creating a word doc (using create item), but the document that is created comes up as error when opened.  I have flexi task for reject, approve, more info, but I need to pull all Q and As to a format which can be recorded for future reference.  

Has any body done this in the past?  I have a workflow now that can go back and forth with emails, I can't think beyond this!

Any help is appreciated.

1 reply

Badge +1

Hello All, I found a way around it after tinkering and reading more posts from other people and combining them together. I now have a approval workflow that goes back and forth.  First request approval is sent out and that comment is captured in a variable.  Second, on the response, I added "Request Data", and capturing that comment.  The Rejection side builds out to another approval once "Request Data" completes.  This goes on for 3 attempts and finally halts if it is rejected final time.  All comments on each response and approval is captured into a variable.  Then, on a modified word template for the library, the variables are added, and word document is processed.  Finally, then it is converted into a PDF for record keeping.

All in all,  it is working out great.  If any one is running into the same issue, this can definitely help.