Forms: I need a value from another list to filter in my current list form

Badge +2

I have a form which contains two  cascading lookups, the first is Department, the second would be the Manager and their Backup. I can eliminate one of the lookups be cause I know the value of the department which is coming from a different list and I'm already collection this in the workflow variables. I want to eliminate the need to have to select the department to get the managers listed for that department. What I need know is how to use this Runtime "Lookup" Function to lookup an item from "LIST A"  and insert the column value into this runtime formula. The syntax is as followed lookup(list title, column to filter on,  value to filter on, output column)  but I cant seem to get the Department name to  display on my form. Can anyone offer some help? I need the value in so I can filter on the managers name so if the department value is "IS" the it will list the manager and there backup in the pull down, If the department is "Accounting" then it will display only those for accounting.

Anyone have a solution out there?

Thank you in advance

2 replies

Badge +7

Hello Jaime,

So you are looking for the functionality where you select one value from dropdown for Department; and then form should pull the data of manager and backup information.

Do you have only one manager and one backup for each Department? Then Use a calculated column for these 2 and use below formula:

For manager: lookup("Lookup List Name", "ID", Department column Nintex Form Control Name, "Manager column name in the lookup list")

For backup: lookup("Lookup List Name", "ID", Department column Nintex Form Control Name, "Backup column name in the lookup list")

Badge +2

Hello Soni,

Thank you for replying. Let me explain, so your question:

Are looking for the functionality where you select one value from dropdown for Department; and then form should pull the data of manager and backup information.

Unfortunately our AD is not up to date with the department for all employees. However our  Payroll  is. So I've created a list (ADP EMP LIST) which has all employees with their correct departments. When the EMP goes to enter a request date I need to have the system lookup the ADP list to get the Department and with this value have it look up the Managers List and bring back the email addresses so the EMP can select the Main and Backup emails for approval of the request. So I want to eliminate the pull down of the Department and default it based on the Employees Department and then just pull down the email addresses. See my sample below.

Any Idea?

Sample.png