How to Start a Workflow on InfoPath Form Open

• 19 January 2009
  • 6 replies

Badge +6

Hi,

I want to srart a workflow, as soon as InfoPath form opens. Anybody have any idea how we can do that?

Note: I am using Web based InfoPath form.

6 replies

Badge +9
You have a couple of options - try integrating your InfoPath form with a smart object which in turn is set up to kick off a workflow process on 'Create'.  In the form open rules of your InfoPath form, create an instance of this smart object and that should do the trick.
Badge +11
You could modify the form open rule to invoke either the standard K2 web service or one of your own.
Badge

Hello tbyrne,

Could you detail how to automatically start a process on a SmartObject creation ?

Is this set up made directly on the SmartObject or the process, so that the process could fires up whether the smartObject has been created from an InfoPath form, an ASP.net page, or an other process ?

Thanks

Badge +9
It is set up on the process - I don't have it in front of me right now, but I think you use the SmartObject association wizard of the process (upper right-hand corner) to tie the process to a smartObject event.  The process will start when that event takes place.  So if you tie it to a 'Create' event, then the process will start every time 'Create' is invoked on that smart object.
Badge

I’ve tried the “SmartObject Association” wizard (from the Workflow project), but I didn’t find a way to configure it in order to answer my issue:

1) When I select a SmartObject to associate with my Process, I navigate in the Context Browser, select his ‘Create’ method and click Add, but the wizard only keep the name of the SmartObject, not a particular Event.

2) As you can see on the first screen (see attached file), I can’t select the option “Each SmartObject has a single Process”.

3) The next screen is about creating SmartObjects...

I think the wizard helps to create a SmartObject associated to the Process,

but not to fire up a new Process on a particular Event of a SmartObject.

However, I played the test scenario (to be sure) but I didn’t have a new Process instance.

I hope I could bring you some better news next time ;)

If this issue stills unresolved, maybe I should open a new dedicated post…

Cheers

10893iAB27CDC36688D220.png
Badge +9
I am sorry that I can't recall the specific steps, if I have some time today I will try to job my memory.  I am 100% positive that I have set up processes in the past that were kicked off by creating a smart object, but since it didn't end up being our ultimate solution I threw it away.