Is there a way to embed a lookup directly in a task notification?

• 23 October 2014
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I have a  task and simply want the assignee to enter/select the name of an attorney using the Person or Group format or through a list lookup without having to edit the list item directly.  Or, I'd like the assignee to select the name through a lookup so it could be captured in a variable. Either way, is this possible?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It may depend on what kind of task you are using. Some tasks provide a means of feedback different than Approve/Reject. And tasks can also have their own custom form separate from the list the workflow is running on. This way, when a user is provided a notification they are provided a link to complete the task. This link can take them to the custom form.

Using a Flexi task is one means to accomplish this. You can have an outcome of More Data and when chosen, other fields can be displayed and data can be provided. Once the task is completed, in the workflow you can get that data out and use it. See here for more details and a walk through Nintex Forms/Workflow - Flexi Task with a Data Entry Nintex Form - Vadim Tabakman .

Their could be another means using the Request Data task. In this task you can create a new content type and provide the fields that you need data for. Then when the user get to this custom form they will have the fields you specified for input. The values entered into these fields can be stored in a variable for a simple way to retrieve the data. See Request Data from the Nintex Workflow Help File Excerpts (look here for user guide content)

Badge +3

Thanks, Andrew. The first option might work for me but not sure if this is any simpler for the user than just having the assignee edit the list item for this use case. I'll test that.  I've tested the second option before but it seemed too tedious for the intended outcome.

I suppose the bottom line is, you cannot not embed the lookup action itself on the task notification itself. That'd be sweet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, in the end, the notification is just an email and not a webpage. But with the Request Data task, and the use of Lazy Approval, you can respond with an email and provide data. You can have a "form" in the email and respond with answers. Like:

--Begin Form--

Favorite Food: cake

Bacon?: Yes

--End Form--

When you respond to the email with Cake and Yes, those are you answers and the task will pickup those values and complete the task. I have not used this method for a people picker before, but you can probably translate a response like "Stuart Thomason" and look up to find a matching name in UPS. You don't get a People Picker, because it is just an email, and not a connected webpage. But it's like a form.