If installing updates to forms, do I need to update workflow as well?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I want to update our forms and workflow to a more recent version and had a few questions that I could not find answers to.

• If we update forms, do we have to update workflow (or vice versa)?
    • I do not see a reason why we would do this anyways, but it was asked of me and want to know the answer happy.png
  • What is the "typical" duration for the update to complete?
    • I know this is dependent on a lot of different variables, but is there a max time frame?
  • Outage required?
    • I assume this is yes, based on the readings thus far.
  • Does the version of the farm affect (or need to be considered for anything)?
    • We are on 14.0.7162.5000, but did not find anything that pointed to it being an issue.

Any extra words of wisdom would be appreciated too! Trying to understand the process and what to expect so I can pass it along to everyone else!

Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

I can answer to you only to some questions:

• if you use both nintex workflow and nintex forms, yes, it's possible that you have to update workflow too, look in the release notes for the minimum version of workflow needed, if you have an older one, you have to update workflow to obtain at least the minimum version required.
  • I haven't a maximum time frame, in my experience I have seen update that last few minutes to an hour..
  • Yes, in order to complete the update, you or the installer has to do an IIS reset, so it will cause an outage
  • No, I don't think that the version of the farm affect the product, even if in the Product Downloads​ page there is specified on which version the tool has been tested by Nintex

Giacomo

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Thanks for the insight! I am going to plan some time to update our TEST environment and see how that goes.

I am confident that everything will go smooth (fingers crossed)!

Thanks!